Anyone Ever Experience This?
Oct 31, 2004 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a weird condition that, out of nowhere, the hearing in my right ear gets severely muted and replaced with a sound like the vibrations of a tuning fork. This only happens like twice a week for about ten seconds each time. The "tuning fork sound" is not loud, but it is pretty much all I can hear out of my right ear during that ten seconds. My left ear never seems to have this. I believe both ears work fine, because I always pass my hearing tests fine. It has been a while since I had a hearing test, but I have had this condition since I can remember. I did used to have really bad earaches when I was a kid, and I almost needed tubes (bleh!!!). Anyone else have this or experience this ever?

Oct 31, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 21
Ahh, good to know I am not insane
600smile.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 21
Yup yup happens to me, too. When I was a kid I was a little paranoid and thought it might be aliens doing something weird, like trying to send signals to me or it was like their super frequency they communicated on or....... something like that.

Oct 31, 2004 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 21
Every so often on a blue moon, really it's probably like once every 6 months. Usually lasts no longer than a minute, but can get irritating.

Oct 31, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 21
I randomly get really high frequency-seeming noise in one ear (I think it's only my right, never kept track really), so you're not alone. Speaking of which, it literally just happened for a couple seconds while typing this post. But mine isn't anything excessively loud, but I have had the same "ear goes mute with random noise" thing.

Nothing major, it's just the implant they put inside you recharging its batteries by sucking out some brain matter at high speeds. Just go about your life...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Happens to me too, occasionally, also in my right ear and mostly for a few seconds only - especially when I've smoked too many cigarettes on that day. Seems to be a blood pressure/circulation problem, as thinning the blood by drinking non-dehydrating stuff as well as aspirin seem to help...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: A tight neck/shoulder area can also add to that phenomenon (and cause headache). Some natural remedy can be achieved by doing the following: Pull your shoulders together and press your head back to put presure on the muscles between the shoulders for some 30 seconds. Don't hold your breath while doing that, just keep breathing normally. Then relax your shoulders and let your head sag onto your breast for a little while. Thereafter, erect your neck again, look straight forward and move it down towards each (still relaxed) shoulder a few times in order to achieve some stretching. I've seen that on tv being suggested by a doctor of the German army (Bundeswehr), who called it "gnomus relaxation". It really looks silly, but I've tried it - and it worked for me, too.

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 21
"Ringing in your ears, hissing, clicking or buzzing sounds all represent the effects of tinnitus, which is often a side effect of noise-induced hearing loss. Inner-ear cells are sensitive to vibrations. But if they’re damaged, the ears will still record ringing or buzzing, even when there’s no sound.

Remember, it is your high frequency hearing that deteriorates first. Think of what music would sound like if you couldn’t hear anything above 10KHz: just like with a crummy old transistor radio or listening to music over a telephone (no cymbals or high pitched instruments, voices sounding deadened). Protect yourself or just turn it down!"

Note - I think I remember reading as well that the reason the ringing stops in most cases is because the brain adjusts to the missing nerve fibers. But in some cases the ringing doesn't stop. Also organ imbalances can cause low or high pitch ringing as well.

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 21
Oh my god! This is crazy! I almost never, never get ringing in my ears, but just as I was reading through this thread my right ear started ringing for about 4 seconds... weird hehe

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 21
It's just fluid moving around in your ear or draining from it. Chill out, completely normal.

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 21
Yup, it's normal. I can actually feel a little pressure right before it happens. It'll go completely quiet, then sound will slowly return with a little ringing that fades. Kinda like taking a grenade in "Medal of Honor" without all the blood and music.

Oct 31, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Nothing major, it's just the implant they put inside you recharging its batteries by sucking out some brain matter at high speeds. Just go about your life...
very_evil_smiley.gif

No it isn't, that's the evil government zapping you with mind control rays.

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 21
Just to assure you, I get that ringing too with around the same frequency of about twice a week. I used to get it only on my right ear and it would take about 30 seconds to fade off completely.

Recently, my right ear hasn't been ringing but earlier this evening, my left 'rang' probably for the first time.

As an extra assurance, my mother who is paranoid about loud noises has the same problem too.

Nothing to be worried about!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back