Anyone ever buy a live chicken for food?
Sep 23, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 59
the last couple of summers I worked at an organic farm not far from where I live in St. Louis. We raised chickens (Organic, not free range. They actually lived outside and all.) and I have slaughtered, gutted, and eaten a good many of them. It is well worth the effort and ends up being a very interesting meal, if a little disturbing.

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You thumped Thumper?
eek.gif

No, I had to convince them to go to sleep..... on my plate with fried potatoes, cream corn, a slice of tomato & onion, a light-bread bun and glass of sun tea. (miss you mom)

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my girlfriend had chickens, but they only ate the eggs.
good eggs for sure. sadly a fox took the chickens and only left some feathers.

ha ha ha.... that is really funny. This is by far one of the most interesting threads in a while! (Hope did not offend anybody)

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #34 of 59
When I was a little boy (1st or 2nd grade), I bought a dozen little chicks from a street vendor near school and brought them home. I took good care of them, and they all grew to be full-grown chickens...and became my pets in a way. Then suddenly, one by one, they started disappearing. My grandmother told me that it must be the evil foxes. But after a while, I noticed that we were having chicken for dinner almost every day...and then it dawned on me that my grandma had been slaughtering them all along! I could not eat chicken for many years after that.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was a little boy (1st or 2nd grade), I bought a dozen little chicks from a street vendor near school and brought them home. I took good care of them, and they all grew to be full-grown chickens...and became my pets in a way. Then suddenly, one by one, they started disappearing. My grandmother told me that it must be the evil foxes. But after a while, I noticed that we were having chicken for dinner almost every day...and then it dawned on me that my grandma had been slaughtering them all along! I could not eat chicken for many years after that.

Classic.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #36 of 59
Well unless they can kill it for me, I wouldn't risk myself taking home a live chicken and try to kill it myself.
What if the chicken decides to fight back? No way in hell I am going to risk my life just for the sake of having fresher chickens. I heard if the chicken's beak caught you on your butt, that's it, you'll get bird flu.
I strongly advise killing the chicken yourself unless you are highly expert in some sort of martial arts (preferably submission type).

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
**** au vin.

The "obscenity" filter strikes again.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #38 of 59
Umm I must be missing something here.. how is a pre-slaughtered chicken considered live?

Live chickens rarely make a good meal. They tend not to stay on the plate, and can peck you pretty bad too I've found.

I'll take my chicken dead and cooked thanks. Preferably in buffalo wind sauce.

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like a better quality chicken. Anyone here every buy a live chicken for food in these modern times?

Yes. Frequently (there are at least 2 places on Grant St in San Francisco that do it). Go for it. It'll be superior. Use a recipe that will show off the flavors of the chicken.

Mind you, the first time I walked into one of these places and asked for a chicken, they got out a paper bag and started poking holes in it. I quickly mad clear that I wanted one already, er, dealt-with, and was as quickly accommodated with ones that had been dispatched that morning. But I had a panicky moment, thinking I was about to walk out with a bag of live food that I had no idea how to deal with. And I hear that the feathers are a bear to deal with.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #40 of 59
This thread brought to mind a story I saw recently in the New York Times about local, small-scale slaughterhouses in the city. It's a very interesting read, about the demand for live chickens, pigs, goats, etc.

From the article:

There are about 90 live-poultry markets in the metropolitan area. That number has doubled since the mid-1990s, state officials say, because of the demands of immigrants from countries where eyeballing your meat while it is alive is considered common sense. About a quarter of the markets are also licensed to slaughter larger livestock.

The title pretty much sums it up:

Meeting, Then Eating The Goat.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are freshly killed chickens a bloody mess? I want to buy one but if it's too bloody, it may be some work to clean which could prevent me from buying one. But then again, I could just rinse it easily under a sink.

If done right there is very little mess.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #42 of 59
The easiest way to kill live chicken without making mess is this:

Get a box, put the chicken in it, put one of your pc speakers in it, close the lid, then start playing a Nickelback album. Midway through the album, open the box, you will find the chicken dead already.
The chicken will be dead out of boredom (either that or it committed suicide for not being able to stand listening to all those crappy songs)

But this is sort of cruel way to kill the chicken though.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The easiest way to kill live chicken without making mess is this:

Get a box, put the chicken in it, put one of your pc speakers in it, close the lid, then start playing a Nickelback album. Midway through the album, open the box, you will find the chicken dead already.
The chicken will be dead out of boredom (either that or it committed suicide for not being able to stand listening to all those crappy songs)

But this is sort of cruel way to kill the chicken though.

Sorry but I condone animal cruelty for no reason.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #44 of 59
I was raised on farm (not meat factory) fresh chicken. Today, I buy my chicken from a local small-scale farmer. If I ever eat chicken from the grocery store instead, it tastes watered down in comparison - not satisfying at all. Same goes for eggs.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #45 of 59
Great. Now I am really inspired to get a live chicken. Sounds yummy. This place also has other types of live poultry too but not sure exactly what kind. I think some of these live chicken markets also sell live rabbit too. I would love to eat some classic rabbit stew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back