Anyone ever buy a live chicken for food?
Sep 23, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thumpin the rabbits was harder to deal with.

You thumped Thumper?
eek.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #17 of 59
In some parts of the world, chickens that are allowed to run around (vs those reared in cages in farms) are considered much tastier and sell for considerably more money.

When I was a child, a relative used to give us a live chicken as a gift during Chinese New Year. After 2 days, we would normally kill it and cook it. I remember it was a bloody mess, and plucking the feathers was quite foul too. It is one of the reasons why I dislike going to the wet market ... once a saw a butcher cut meat off a cow rack, and the cow's head was starring at me. Quite gross.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a child I remember my Grandma cutting a chicken's head, the seeing the chicken literally running around with its head cut off for a few minutes, followed by plucking and then chicken soup. Sounds gross but still better than what poultrys do.

In my family, live chickens are more a part of my grandparents's time. Both of my parents speak of going with their parents to a Kosher market, picking out a chicken, and watching it get slaughtered, plucked, and cleaned on the spot.

Modern people may think this is gross, but I find it far less disturbing than the conditions that prevail in factory farming. That bland, anti-biotic infused chicken you buy in the styrofoam pack at your megamart was slaughtered too.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #20 of 59
I sure would like to, but have found no local market who sell them.
frown.gif

Everything is mass produced and already packed when it arrive at the store.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #21 of 59
my girlfriend had chickens, but they only ate the eggs.
good eggs for sure. sadly a fox took the chickens and only left some feathers.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #22 of 59
We have a lot of chicken like that here in the Philipps and it's a bit more expensive than the commercial ones because they're "all natural" and takes longer to make then grow because they are not injected with growth hormones(that makes you gay and makes your boobs pointy), they taste better and is really good for chicken soup.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...they are not injected with growth hormones(that makes you gay and makes your boobs pointy)

So that's my problem!!
L3000.gif
popcorn.gif
atsmile.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #25 of 59
It's been my experience that anything that I've killed myself (and cleaned) tastes better than comparable commercially prepared food.

Everyone should be able to kill and cook a meal, even if you live in an urban area. People pay big bucks to eat pigeon around the world and urbanites just think of them as winged rodents. Rooftop squab-ka-bobs! Yum!

IMO, PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #26 of 59
I bought three live chickens back in May for their eggs. They're ex-battery hens who have finished their 15months of intensive egg production and now they're basically pets that give us eggs (and lots of poop, but that's a different story). Instead of being ground up for animal food or fertaliser you can rehome them and let them live out the rest of their days in comfort.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been my experience that anything that I've killed myself (and cleaned) tastes better than comparable commercially prepared food.

Everyone should be able to kill and cook a meal, even if you live in an urban area. People pay big bucks to eat pigeon around the world and urbanites just think of them as winged rodents. Rooftop squab-ka-bobs! Yum!

IMO, PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals.

I love a nice roasted pigeon!

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #28 of 59
No, but ages ago i had a french coworker who bought a live rooster for $100, so he could make **** au vin.

His neighbors in his apartment complex were not amused.

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 59
Yes, quite often when I was young,
there's still a few live poultry stores in NYC.
yes, it tastes better than the processed stuff in the market
if you've ever drove through Maryland and smelled something that's
the Perdue farm.
now could I tell the difference between same day kill and 2 day kill,
probably not but I can tell the difference between the yellow skinned
stuff in the plastic wrap and the lighter paler pink skinned fresh chickens.
same with fresh caught fish.

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, but ages ago i had a french coworker who bought a live rooster for $100, so he could make **** au vin.

His neighbors in his apartment complex were not amused.

It's spelled "coq"
jecklinsmile.gif

I bought a live chicken when I was in China a few years ago. As mentioned earlier they first cut off the head (although they managed to get all the blood in a plastic basket quite easily), boiled it for a few seconds and plucked it. Very good, but not as good as the black chicken
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back