Anyone else Tweak their Creek? (pics)
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tin man

New Head-Fier
I realize the lowly OBH-11 SE is older than your first DVD player, but there are so many of them around that I'll bet some of you have tweaked one just for the soldering practice. I know I did,,,, well,, just out of curiosity anyway.

About a year ago I had to replace a blown signal transistor, so I decided to also replace all of the electrolytic caps with Nichicons and a few Elnas. These are relatively cheap capacitors that are probably on par quality wise with the rest of the Creek. In other words, they're not Blackgate quality but good enough.

More recently though, I cut the ac/dc cables down to a shorter length, and I upgraded the crummy little input coupling caps with some NOS PIO caps that I got on cheap-bay. Those signal caps really made a big difference because
1. now they're .47uF instead of .22uF, and
2. because they're PIO instead of whatever the heck those little square thingys were.
wink.gif

The little Creek is naked now, because the PIO are way too big. When I'm done playing games with it, I think I'll find a more suitable cap that will allow me to put the lid back on. Until then, here it is :

shortercablessz0.jpg

upgradedcapsjb2.jpg

upgradedpio2ht4.jpg

znakedcreekof7.jpg

Anyone else Tweak their Creek?

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 3
I have the OBH-11, I replaced the cheap .22uf caps with some Auricaps and the output caps with some Rubycon ZL caps, definately more vivd now, I might replace the ZL caps. What power supply is that, looks like an upgrade over the walwart.

Phill

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 3
That's the SE (special edition?) power supply that came stock with my 9-year-old OBH-11SE. The ac cable was 6 feet long, and the dc cable was also 6 feet long. I didn't want 12 feet of wire tie wrapped in loops so I trimmed it down and put a new connector on the ac cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back