Anyone else think the Senn HD497 build quality sux?
Jul 4, 2002 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently on my second pair of HD497's, the first pair I got the left speaker died.

I am now on my 2nd pair, and have noticed that the left speaker is starting to crackle and seems like it is going to go the same way as the first pair.

Elsewhere the build quality is cheap and nasty.

Its a good job they have really good SQ, because frankly thats the only thing they have going for them. I find the build quality totally unacceptable. Does anyone else feel this way about Senn's?

Jul 4, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 10
a few weeks after i recieved my HD497s my left speaker started crackling and i tried the trick that i had read about on this forum....

all i did was pull the cord out and push it back in really tight...no more crackle...sounds great...

the HD497s do feel somewhat cheap....but....to me they definitely sound good...besides...they are a good deal at the price...

ray

Jul 4, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 10
You tried pulling out the cords at the earcups and then reconnecting them, right? The problem you describe is pretty common, there were a number of threads about this when the 497 first came out. There are small jacks in each earcup and reseating the connections generally fixed the problem.

If you want something better for a little more I'd suggest trying the HD280. It has a similar sound but the frequency response is much flatter (the 497's mids are a bit recessed), the bass is deeper and the overall sound is much smoother, clearer and more detailed. The isolation can be nice too. Not the best choice with a portable unless it's got good power output but a great match with home equipment or a computer.

(HBZ)

Jul 5, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Hamsterball_Z
If you want something better for a little more I'd suggest trying the HD280. It has a similar sound but the frequency response is much flatter (the 497's mids are a bit recessed), the bass is deeper and the overall sound is much smoother, clearer and more detailed. The isolation can be nice too. Not the best choice with a portable unless it's got good power output but a great match with home equipment or a computer.

I agree here. The HD280 can be driven directly by a gutless portable, but will sound better with an amp (nope, you don't have to buy a big ol' expensive amp; even a small portable amp of the Total Airhead/Porta Corda class will be a big step up from that crappy headphone out built into portables).

Jul 5, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 10
I didnt realise it was such a common problem. Do you have to take the headphones apart to do this, or does the cord just pull out?

I am happy with the SQ on them, its just this little "bug" thats annoying me about them really.

Thanks

Jul 5, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 10
pbirkett, AFAIK the cord on the HD497 (and all other HD4#7 and HD2#2 series headphones) - which is connected to both earpieces - simply pulls off the 'phones.

Jul 5, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 10
This isn't the good old HD5x5, 580 & 600 problem all over again is it?

Jul 5, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
This isn't the good old HD5x5, 580 & 600 problem all over again is it?

sounds like it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back