Anyone else notice iPod line-out is freaking loud?
Jun 11, 2003 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
What up with that? Is it like my sony 707 (hacked to n1) mini-disc digital amp where it cranks up all the way and calls itself a line-out? Cause it definitely doesn't sound like any other line level signal that I'm used to. Oh, and I've been meaning to ask. Using my mini-disc line out, since it does go all the way loud, just how much does that bring down battery life? Just curious.

But anyways...

Jun 11, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
What up with that? Is it like my sony 707 (hacked to n1) mini-disc digital amp where it cranks up all the way and calls itself a line-out? Cause it definitely doesn't sound like any other line level signal that I'm used to. Oh, and I've been meaning to ask. Using my mini-disc line out, since it does go all the way loud, just how much does that bring down battery life? Just curious.

But anyways...

Hadn't really noticed that. Since the iPod's lineout is only 1 volt and the standard is 2 volts, there would be little reason to draw that conclusion. My iPod sounds quite a bit quieter than the rest of my home stuff and about the same as my other portable stuff.

Stu

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 15
odd...

but yes, totally, the line-out drives my HD-580s at a pleasant level, even somewhat loud and the PortaPros DEFINITLY go loud from it...it's the equivalent of maybe 8/10 of the volume of the headphone out if my compariosn/approximation's any good.

I wonder if the line out of the "super docks" will be like that too...can't wait to get one of these things...

Nick

Jun 12, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 15
sounds like a BS line-out "scheme" .. like the Odyssey... if the volume on the line-out is loud, its been amped, and therefore, not as advertised.

looks like I will cancel my order for an iPod

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 15
Hmmm. I've inly had my Ipod for 5 days and haven't tried running anything out of the dock's line-out. Will have to give this a try.

Apart from some annoying qualities related to MusicMatch (Ephpod here I come), the Ipod is fantastic.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
sounds like a BS line-out "scheme" .. like the Odyssey... if the volume on the line-out is loud, its been amped, and therefore, not as advertised.

looks like I will cancel my order for an iPod

Austonia, of all people I thought you would be familiar with the electronics inside the iPod. It's a TRUE line-out. Even the previous iPods had the capability for a true line-out, they just didn't have the jack.

Jun 12, 2003 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Austonia, of all people I thought you would be familiar with the electronics inside the iPod. It's a TRUE line-out. Even the previous iPods had the capability for a true line-out, they just didn't have the jack.

well .. i hope its a true line-out, but why would the volume be so loud then...? line-out = unamped, so how is it as loud as some people say..?

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
well .. i hope its a true line-out, but why would the volume be so loud then...? line-out = unamped, so how is it as loud as some people say..?

Unfortunately, there's nothing that says a line-out has to have a certain "level" -- that's the ideal, but in practice line-out jacks vary in their output. It could be that the iPod's output is simply at the high end of the spectrum.

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Unfortunately, there's nothing that says a line-out has to have a certain "level" -- that's the ideal, but in practice line-out jacks vary in their output. It could be that the iPod's output is simply at the high end of the spectrum.

May I ask how a 1 volt output is at the "high end" of the spectrum? The CD standard calls for 2 volts. My external DAC (2 volt output) will drive my HD600s far louder from its line out jacks than will the line out on the iPod.

To maximize signal to noise ratio and dynamic range, maximum signal level is fed out of the line out. The iPod line out sounds "loud" relative to its headphone volume setting because both headphone amp and line out are rated for 1 volt output. The headphone amp is designed to drive relatively low impedance loads and comes after the attenuator, whereas the line out is designed to drive much higher impedance loads and is before the attenuator in the signal path.

Stu

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by maczrool
May I ask how a 1 volt output is at the "high end" of the spectrum? The CD standard calls for 2 volts. My external DAC (2 volt output) will drive my HD600s far louder from its line out jacks than will the line out on the iPod.

I wasn't making a statement of fact. You yourself said that your iPod doesn't sound louder than any other of your components. I was merely pointing out that there's nothing that requires a specific output level, only a range, and that it was possible that the reason usc goose's was louder was that his iPod was at the higher end.

Jun 12, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 15
It may be that the headphone volume has a slightly crippled output, thank EU...

(Pun of the century?
biggrin.gif
)

So the Line Out seems powerful?

While the iPod seems to have plenty of driving capability it doesn't seem that loud. I think it's barely louder than my old Sharp MD. I've only tried the Line Out with one of my Warted Out Metas and the combination was pretty good. I haven't tried listening directly from the L.O. And it does seem to be a true L.O.

Jun 12, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

I wasn't making a statement of fact. You yourself said that your iPod doesn't sound louder than any other of your components. I was merely pointing out that there's nothing that requires a specific output level, only a range, and that it was possible that the reason usc goose's was louder was that his iPod was at the higher end.

Since you were quoting austonia, I didn't realize that was your intent. Your post read very much in general terms rather than the specific examples you now cite. Anyway point taken, although I don't see why any one iPod would be more gererously powered than the next.

Stu

Jun 16, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 15
I can't say anything about the iPod line-out, but for all the line-outs on equipment I've got, plugging in headphones gives me little volume. However, plugging in the CHA47 with no volume at 9 o'clock, bringing it to 11-12 o'clock brings it to loud volumes. Plugging in headphones into a headphone jack might give me loud volumes at a certain level, but when plugging my amp into the headphone jack and leaving it at that same level, I may have to turn the knob all the way to 5 o'clock to get the same volume through the headphones. This has been the case for three PCDPs, two computers, and two CDPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back