Anyone else have Grados that have problems with the earcups falling off??
Aug 3, 2011 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LepakVT

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own two pairs of Grado headphones -- Alessandro MS1 (purchased in 2007) and Grado SR325is (purchased 3 weeks ago) -- and in both pairs, my left earcup has fallen off the little metal peg that goes into the black plastic connector on the cup housing.

Each time, this has happened just a few weeks after purchasing the headphones. With the MS1, I just used some Gorilla Glue at the connection point and although there's a little overflow, I let it be and just trucked on. But now with my new 325is, I can't believe I'm having the same problems 4 years later. (Well, I guess it shouldn't be that hard to believe since the cups are indeed heavier....) But still, this should not be happening with headphones in this price range. 

I like to baby all of my belongings and my 325s have only been on my head or on a headphone stand since I bought them. And yet I put them on today and have the left earcup fall out! And I try to put it back in and the connection is so loose. I'm not going to lie, I'm really disappointed that I've tried two different headphones with the same results of the cups falling out.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. [Disregard my bright blue gym shorts 
rolleyes.gif
]

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 12
Gee that's unfortunate, people say that a Lightning never strikes twice in the same spot but with you it did. 
I'd be really pissed off if that happened to me, knock on wood. 
Anyway, can you send it back to Grado for warranty/repair? 

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 12
If you don't want this to happen again, try modding your cans to have a non-swivel headband. This mod works for alessandro's and grado's (from what I know).

I think there is a seller who sells those here in the headfi community.

Edit::

Oops. Didn't see willmax's signature.

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 12
Happened to my 325i where the headband meets the plastic L holder.

Superglue was the answer.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
If you don't want this to happen again, try modding your cans to have a non-swivel headband. This mod works for alessandro's and grado's (from what I know).
I think there is a seller who sells those here in the headfi community.
Edit::
Oops. Didn't see willmax's signature.

You can pick up headband for $20 that will fit the Grado cups at Trew Audio. 7506 model
I use one myself.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Kind of an old thread here.

But, I just wanted to let people know if they stumble across this thread with this problem that if they took a picture, and sent it along to grado, I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem sending you a new gimbal (the metal rod and plastic forks). They sent me a new one without a picture as proof and mine was just bent, not broken.

May 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 12
Hi,

Found this thread, just emailed Grado to see if they can send me a new gimbal.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I have glued my fork to my metal peg 3 times now.  The first time held for a number of months, but the 2 most recent times didn't last a week.  I'll try a different glue, but pretty annoyed there is no tightening screw or some other way to keep the earpieces secured.  Other than that, love the sound from these cans.

May 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 12
  Hi,

Found this thread, just emailed Grado to see if they can send me a new gimbal.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I have glued my fork to my metal peg 3 times now.  The first time held for a number of months, but the 2 most recent times didn't last a week.  I'll try a different glue, but pretty annoyed there is no tightening screw or some other way to keep the earpieces secured.  Other than that, love the sound from these cans.

They should hook you up, no worries!

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 12
September 2015

Totally impressed by excellent Grado service.
Had same problem of broken gimbal on my 325i's.
I live in Israel. Grado sent me a replacement part immediately, no questions or hesitation.
Very helpful on the phone also. Delighted that 325i's are now up to their best.
I would warmly recommend their customer service to anyone who needs it.
BOB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back