Anyone else curious/worried about the upcoming generations of iDevices?
Aug 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kskwerl

Headphoneus Supremus
I ask this because as some of you may have heard the rumor of Apple switching from the 30-pin connector on all devices to a 16-pin connector on the iPhone 5. Makes me curious as to if the LOD will be compatible with devices like the CLAS. This would only be a problem if future generation iPods/Pads etc are also 16-pin. Now I don't know exactly how they work or whether or not they would be 100% compatible with devices such as the CLAS or if they would need to revise such devices.

Thoughts?

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 4
With so many devices and accessories geared towards the 30-pin, it would be impossible for them to abandon it.  I'm sure there will be plenty of adapters, should such a change occur.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
With so many devices and accessories geared towards the 30-pin, it would be impossible for them to abandon it.  I'm sure there will be plenty of adapters, should such a change occur.

This is what I thought as well but I wouldn't put it past Apple for a second to force everyone to by new accessories with some BS reason as to why they changed it.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 4
I would imagine that if Apple don't do it then one of the third party hardware suppliers will jump in and products even a clip on device which will not only offer the original 30 pin connection but also taper down to the original iPhone dimensions so that the new device will fit. I personally think that Apple were really stupid to change the specifications of the port, and will be very surprised if it actually offers anything that the old port didn't already offer. The problem with Apple is that once they have released a new product they don't give a rats assessment about third party hardware for their old products. This was best illustrated by the changes they made to their original iPhone and ipad, once released, it became very difficult to acquire cases and other hardware for the originals after only a couple of weeks.

I very strongly suspect that, as in the case of the new NEXUS 7, their respective motivation for releasing their new Iphone is to lock you down even more to Apples way of doing things and encourage more cosher application sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back