anyone disappointed with ATH-A900LTD ???
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

manchau

1000+ Head-Fier
I just want to know any phone in $350 range having better balanced sound and comfort then ATH-900LTD.

mine ltd's are expected tomorrow and my another phone would based on your recommendations.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
I just want to know any phone in $350 range having better balanced sound and comfort then ATH-900LTD.

mine ltd's are expected tomorrow and my another phone would based on your recommendations.

Well, I haven't heard the LTD, but I think you're being charged a premium for a slightly souped up A900... which is a good deal at $200. Better than an HD650, K701, or a 325i? I dunno... I really think for $350 there are great options.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 44
They are very comfortable headphones, and comfort is very personal anyway so that's impossible to call.

In terms of overall balance, there certainly are more evenly balanced headphones in the $350 range, however that doesn't mean you should not and will not love the coloration of the 900ltd.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Well, I haven't heard the LTD, but I think you're being charged a premium for a slightly souped up A900... which is a good deal at $200. Better than an HD650, K701, or a 325i? I dunno... I really think for $350 there are great options.

slightly soupedup a900 ??? Different driver ! Diffeent pads ! People who heard this can tell us better. As per my search knowledge. no one dissappointed with it yet even by paying much difference.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

slightly soupedup a900 ??? Different driver ! Diffeent pads ! People who heard this can tell us better. As per my search knowledge. no one dissappointed with it yet even by paying much difference.

I thought I just did... Anyway, no matter what you think of it in the end, it's still in demand here at Head-Fi so you can just sell it on.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Yeah, souped up! A sports car has a new engine, better seats, etc... that's souped up, sorry to tell ya!

New drivers, sure, but do they really improve $150 on the old ones? Of course it's better, but are the differences that anyone has listed really THAT pronounced?

People here are not dissapointed paying $300 for a recabling that offers a 5% difference, if even that.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
New drivers, sure, but do they really improve $150 on the old ones? Of course it's better, but are the differences that anyone has listed really THAT pronounced?

That's what I want to know.
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

That's what I want to know.
icon10.gif

Well it's going to vary VERY much depending on the person. Your ears may not even notice a difference between the A900 and the LTD, while someone else may shout the differences on a mountain-top. They have very similar setups. There are people who can't tell the difference between the Sennheiser 580 / 600 /650, and there are those of us that have a clear preference for specific reasons.

These are very very similar headphones. My guess is that it would take a few hours of listening to hear precisely what the A900 LTD does better than the A900.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 44
It means I can't hear the difference between A900 and A900LTD ?

Also I dont have audiophile ears but I just amazed with the quality of mine recently bought A500 direct from out of the box against my previous sony's and philips phones.

oops.. We left the topic. Will you please recommend better phone then it. But
obviously you must know how A900LTD sounds rather then assuming.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 44
I haven't been disappointed by the A900LTDs and I also have the A900s. Is it an improvement in sound quality alone that's worth $150 over the A900s? IMO no, but it's still an improvement over the A900s none the less, whether your willing to shell out the extra $150 is up to you. The sound improvement isn't a night and day difference between the two. They sound very similar with the A900LTDs having a bit more refined and smoother sound to it.

Certainly the A900LTDs don't sound better than the HD650 and K701 as those headphones have a different sound quality that makes them unique. The A900LTDs are definitely one of the most comfortable set of cans that I've had the opportunity to try.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 44
There's a lot of stiff competition in the $350 price range. But most of the contenders are open headphones. When you narrow the scope to closed headphones, the competition starts to thin out a bit. This is just my own personal preference but there are several headphones in that price ballpark that I prefer over the A900LTDs in absolute sound terms. However, if I needed a closed headphone, the A900LTDs would start to rise much higher on my list.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I haven't been disappointed by the A900LTDs and I also have the A900s. Is it an improvement in sound quality alone that's worth $150 over the A900s? IMO no, but it's still an improvement over the A900s none the less, whether your willing to shell out the extra $150 is up to you. The sound improvement isn't a night and day difference between the two. They sound very similar with the A900LTDs having a bit more refined and smoother sound to it.

Certainly the A900LTDs don't sound better than the HD650 and K701 as those headphones have a different sound quality that makes them unique. The A900LTDs are definitely one of the most comfortable set of cans that I've had the opportunity to try.

Yeah, Thanks, But what about the people who don't like HD650 and K701 over DT880 and some others ?And what about the people who likes A900LTD over the same phones ? Are there any undisputed best phone in $350 range???

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Yeah, Thanks, But what about the people who don't like HD650 and K701 over DT880 and some others ?And what about the people who likes A900LTD over the same phones ? Are there any undisputed best phone in $350 range???

Personal preference comes way too much into play at the $350 range.

I know you're trying to justify the purchase of a pricey set of cans. It is pretty hard to do the first time you buy an expensive pair. You're really just going to have to sit tight and wait for them to arrive before you can start really making decisions. Don't wait for oppinions here to taint how you actually feel about them when you hear them, you know?

And when you get them and they sound great... please, don't come and post about how they're "the best cans ever" if you haven't heard any others. Ok?

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
There's a lot of stiff competition in the $350 price range. But most of the contenders are open headphones. When you narrow the scope to closed headphones, the competition starts to thin out a bit. This is just my own personal preference but there are several headphones in that price ballpark that I prefer over the A900LTDs in absolute sound terms. However, if I needed a closed headphone, the A900LTDs would start to rise much higher on my list.

Thanks to you also. I'll prefer closed phones coz my family is too much sensitive while sleeping. And I don't like to disturb them.

But I wanted to know if it's inferior then open phones. And how much.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Thanks to you also. I'll prefer closed phones coz my family is too much sensitive while sleeping. And I don't like to disturb them.

But I wanted to know if it's inferior then open phones. And how much.

It is inferior to open phones. Open headphones compared to closed headphones, there's just no question (if they're in the same price range). Natural sound is MUCH easier to get out of an open headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back