anyone digging mcintosh...?
Sep 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nerdwave82

New Head-Fier
for high-end, im really digging mcintosh. been through a couple of systems for my studio and by far the sound is consistently clean at the loudest output. cant complain with that when youre in the rock business. anyone else a mcintosh convert?

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 17
Oh yea!

I have owned almost all the big and not-so-big high-end brands over the years but there is something so satisfying about having a McIntosh system. It just makes me want to relax and listen to music and not constantly tweak or add "magic" accessories.

Go team McIntosh!!

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 17
Someday, someday I'll end up with a nice vintage McIntosh receiver. Listening with my Marantz until that day

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 17
I am a fan too, ever since I was a young kid wandering around the hifi store and got intrigued by those blue eyes,
Only have the 200wpc integrated plus the Mac tuner and cd/dvd with the B&W 803d. Added the bryston dac bda1 to upgrade the cd.
My problem is the speakers are craving more power but the exponential cost is slightly intimidating. The mono 501s would be great as would the 2300 tube preamp, I'd be lucky to find all that used for $10,000.
Maybe a used pair of bryston 7b monos?
Not sure I can abandon Mac though...

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 17
Just got MA6900 in the house, It sounds very balanced and musical with speakers. Man, I love the EQ function! I am in the middle of system overhaul, got nothing hooked up. So, just did quick check on the headphone output, with my computer as source, and recabled AKG271s. My LCD-2 on loan to Glenn (studio). MA6900 was OK only. Sounded like $800  headphone amp FOR NOW. I should hook up my Meridian CDP when I get new XLR cable (analysis plus solo crystal), and LCD-2. I Don't hope for a magic, but I will report back.

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 17
Still riding a local friend of mine to sell me his vintage McIntosh integrated that needs some work. If I can get it for a bargain and recap it and toss some Gold Lions in it I'll be extremely happy. 

Trying to get him to help me build some speakers from the ground up to. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 17
I don't go in for that high-priced stuff, but I did pick up a nice all-in-one unit at K-Mart last weekend:

It's OK for listening to Britney late at night.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 17
Just got MA6900 in the house, It sounds very balanced and musical with speakers. Man, I love the EQ function! I am in the middle of system overhaul, got nothing hooked up. So, just did quick check on the headphone output, with my computer as source, and recabled AKG271s. My LCD-2 on loan to Glenn (studio). MA6900 was OK only. Sounded like $800  headphone amp FOR NOW. I should hook up my Meridian CDP when I get new XLR cable (analysis plus solo crystal), and LCD-2. I Don't hope for a magic, but I will report back.

I traded emails with McIntosh a while back about the headphone output on the ma6900 and they advised me to use a headphone amp instead of their built in headphone amp. Bummer.
Would be great to see Mac release a dedicated headphone amp.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm a big fan of McIntosh's gear; their amps in particular (I love the other component pieces, but cannot justify their prices despite how pretty they are; and their speakers are par at best).

They hold value remarkably well though.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
I traded emails with McIntosh a while back about the headphone output on the ma6900 and they advised me to use a headphone amp instead of their built in headphone amp. Bummer.
Would be great to see Mac release a dedicated headphone amp.

Yeah, I do not expect anything good from MA6900's headphone output. Like I said, it was just OK with help of EQ, but listenable. My plan is to use it for speaker and a pair of Stax.
Quote:
I'm a big fan of McIntosh's gear; their amps in particular (I love the other component pieces, but cannot justify their prices despite how pretty they are; and their speakers are par at best).

They hold value remarkably well though.

I had hard time decide between MA6600, MA6900, and MA2275. I picked MA6900 for its tonal signature over MA6600. I could not find MA2275 in the condition I wanted for long time. I was lucky to pick up a like-new condition MA6900 for $3495, not cheap by any mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back