Anyone deal with the Apple Store in NYC?
Apr 23, 2006 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
My Ipod just went black after a week of refusing to mount so its off to the Apple Store for something close to instant gratification or mail it off for delayed gratification. I was told by an Apple rep to show up at around 6am when the genius bar opens so I could get served by around 7am.

Anyone deal with them and had good results?
Please let me know if they exchanged your Ipod and with what model.
I have a 40GB 4G.

Thanks!

Apr 23, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 6
When the 3rd gen ipod came out i had no problems with the store. Few years later it's terrible in there. You sign in through a mac upstairs and if it's in the middle of the day the wait is about4-6 hours. Yeah who said Macs don't have problems.

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 6
My GF's Mini broke so we went to the Apple store in the middle of weekend day and of course it was a mob scene in there. It took us about 1.5 hours to see a "genius" at the bar, who after playing with the iPod for about 30 seconds proclaimed it broken! Um...yeah, that's why we were there. However because my GF's iPod was engraved, they couldn't actually replace it at the store so he instructed us to go back home and do it on line.
rolleyes.gif
It was a waste of 2 hours for us.

So make sure your iPod is well within warranty and that it's not engraved or modified in any way and they may be able to just replace it.

Apr 26, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 6
I got my 5G iPod replaced at Apple Store SOHO.

Here's the trick. Log on early in the morning, maybe even at midnight and make your reservation at http://www.apple.com/retail/soho/week/20060423.html (Click make your reservation, duh. You can only make a reservation for the day unless you have AppleCare) And just go through the process there. That way, all the time slots will be empty and you have a choice to go whenever you want. I chose to go on a weekday morning, the store wasn't too crowded and I spent 15 minutes MAX. Hope this helps.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 6
I was always driven away from the SOHO store by the wait. It almost felt like you had to belong to some sort of a club or something to get to see someone.

I had a problem with my 3-month old 4GB Nano. It had a black bar across half the screen burned into the graphics memory, and nothing I tried would get rid of it (software reset, upgrade, reload). I ended up bringing it to the Apple store at the Short Hills Mall in NJ, about 15 minutes drive from the Holland Tunnel (bring your Sopranos soundtrack CD). Had to wait about an hour. I had no receipt or paperwork because it was a corporate gift, and they never asked to see any. I told them what was wrong, and everything I tried to rectify the problem. The girl tried a quick and unsuccessful reset and then gave me a new one.

At least it looked like a new one. The outside of it had to be new because it was pristine, and you could scratch a Nano with callous on your finger if you're not careful. I have a feeling the inside of it was probably refurbished. The girl took it out of an unmarked OEM looking shrink-wrapped box, and it was all alone. There were no accessories or manual or anything. She just handed me my new Nano. It's been working fine. I've used it practically every day for the past 3 months.

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 6
I ended up sending it in to Apple and suffering the wait. Hopefully Ill get it back by the middle of next week. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back