Anyone crazy enough to...
Jul 12, 2005 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

azncookiecutter

Headphoneus Supremus
Bring a 1 GB flash player on a 3 week road trip? This might be very well be me, if I cannot get a trade with my tiny player for a bigger one. Since I have a Samsung YP-MT6 1 GB, I have a varied choice on what to use to encode all my music to. I am currently using OGG @ Q4 with all the music on my player, and they sound decent. The problem is, which codec and at what quality isthe best compromise for stuffing the max amount of music without the music sounding too horrible? I will be getting Shure E2Cs for this road trip, so I will (should) be able to hear over compression artifacts quite easily.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
IMHO, you should be more worried about charging the battery.

Not really, since:
1) The Samsung has almost 30 hours of real life battery time.
2) My dad has a charger in the car, giving me the chance to charge the batteries whenever I'm in the car.
3) It uses regular AAs, so buying batteries won't be a problem.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 28
I think in order to hear every last ounce of sound, that you need to encode in uncompressed WAV format. Stairway to Heaven should fit on your player that way... Listen to it over and over for three weeks and then let us know what you think.

See ya
Steve

P.S. Yes, I am sadistic.

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 28
Yeah like DJ said, get a CD player. I suggest the Sony DNE300/320 mp3/cd player as it is cheap and great sounding. That and it gets 41 hours of battery life from 1 AA. Also, while on the trip you can buy new CDs and listen to them.
icon10.gif

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 28
azncookiecutter, grab a song and encode it into low OGG rates and also try out low WMA rates (64 or 96kbps). Even with true canalphone isolation, ambient noise still hurts the details. Give it a try. I think you'll be surprised with whatever you find.

--

btw with 64kbps wma for example, you'll probably be able to fit ~450 songs on your 1gb player. gl with finding your best compromise between size and quality.

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 28
Ugh! Radio! The horror!...

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Ugh! Radio! The horror!...

I agree. Radio these days suck. And I'm going to Newfoundland and the Maritime provinces after Boston too, and there's no major towns or cities there, except for 2 or 3 there, so not much radio. There is one all over the island, but it's CBC, and I hate talk shows and such.

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 28
whats in newfoundland? from geography class i always got the impression that it was just inuits and seals.

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
whats in newfoundland? from geography class i always got the impression that it was just inuits and seals.

Nah, it's actually very cool. A lot of cool landscapes, and not a lot of pollution and people there. St. John's, the capital, is probably the size of my town, which is 1/4 the size of Toronto. It's not that hot there too, perfect for getting away from all this humidity and heat right now. Very quiet too. Although you gotta take a ferry to get there, the ferry is a great time to listen to some music.

Jul 12, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 28
thats cool. i actually dont have a whole lot experience in eastern canada. i usually hit vancouver and occassionally calgary. its been years since ive been to toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back