Anyone compare Beyer DT250 250ohm to Sony CD900st?
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Bump...Probably not much more than a couple people have heard both on here.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 11
It seems like they don't get much attention around here.
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 11
I'm curious as well, having never heard the DT250. I have owned the CD900ST for years, however, and I also once owned the DT531, an open headphone which has been described by some as sounding like a DT250 but airier and with a wider soundstage. Briefly, the differences with the CD900ST and the DT531:

-The DT531 has better extension in the highs.
-The DT531 mids are slightly laid back. By comparison, the CD900ST sounds more forward in the midrange, the lower midrange specifically.
-The CD900ST has more microdetail. In this aspect the CD900ST trounces the DT531, which seemed to have difficulty resolving finer details.
-The CD900ST is a bit more transparent.
-The DT531 has a peak in the highs around 10khz which I sometimes found fatiguing. To me this was the biggest flaw with the DT531. Fortunately those who have heard both have said the 10khz peak is more pronounced on the DT531 than on the DT250.

My preference, albeit not by a huge margin, was for the CD900ST, which I think is one of the best headphones for midrange lovers. Hopefully this will tide you over until someone who has actually heard the DT250 along with the CD900ST can chime in.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Sorry for the dbl post. I've seen two different response graphs for the CD900ST, one someone posted on here before and the other on the Goldenears site. But the one on goldenears has a really wonky upper response that looks way different than the other one, so much so that I wonder if their sample was bad. They Also didn't rate them very highly compared to the DT250 or DT880 and similar phones.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Maybe just tell us what type of sound you are looking for and then people can tell if the Sony or beyer have those qualities.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 11
That would to be too generalized as they both qualify. I like hearing peoples opinions on small details and personal preferences. If I just stated my preferences it would be easy to come up with nearly a dozen headphones that fit. Plus I don't want to start another of the billion threads of "OMG, I want this and this, what headphone should I buy!" I know what I aproximately want in a headphone and I can get that from seeing trends in various other peoples preferences but I don't need other peoples opinions on what I should buy as my preferences are probably somewhat different from theres. Also I can get an idea of what amplification is best as I can see trends in what people like what headphones based on their opinions of said headphones with certain amps. As I've noticed people tend to like the CD900ST for example when used with tube amps more often than with solid state amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back