Anyone collect antique books?
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mr_baseball_08

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've began collecting antique books and I've stumbled onto one and I can't find out anything about it so I thought maybe someone here was into this same hobby. Anyways, the title of the book is "Life and Public Service of the Honorable Abraham Lincoln." It was published in 1860, 1 year prior to him becoming president. It was published in New York by an H. Dayton.

I know this is a shot in the dark but I've always been a big fan of Honest Abe. and this looked like a nice addition to my collection.. Thanks in advance!

JD

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 22
Wow that is one old book.Good luck and hope you find it.What are the chances that there is still one out there after all these years?I am guessing only another collector would have it.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Wow, thanks a ton! That means my book is worth 100-135 bucks.. Not bad considering it only cost me 12..
biggrin.gif

JD

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 22
Mar 8, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
This is the most expensive book I found there:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/...0%26sortby%3D1

shipping fee is like one million times cheaper.

That book is worth almost 9 million? Man, I'm seriously missing out on an interesting market!

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 22
I love old books. Haven't really got around to collecting them but I have a few and will pick them up when I have a chance. I enjoy the fact that many are long out of print and can give insight to the times when they were made. They are much better made and have a history and character unlike modern editions. Also they are often cheaper than today's inferior books.

I used to live about ten minutes away from the End of the World in London. There are lots of antique book dealers there but also a pretty much normal used book store.

Every tuesday it was 25% off. I enjoy the classics and picked up quite a few old editons for dirt cheap.

Many from the 1860's - 1930's in good condition.

I bought Marcus Aurelius - Meditations for 3 GBP
and #424 of 750 copies of the Complete Works of Rabelais made specially for the Cambridge Rabelais Club. That cost ~20 GBP 16 w/ the discount for the two-volume foot thick set.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 22
A few things to remember guys, about book collecting and booksellers:

With modern first editions, condition is everything, and the presence of the original proper dust jacket (if issued with one) can constitute 90% of the value. Also bear in mind an association copy (perhaps inscribed by one famous person to another) can add to the value or might explain why a crappy looking book has a big price.

Collect what you enjoy, not for an investment. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Just because something is going for a lot today, doesn't mean it will tomorrow.

Askin' ain't gettin'. Just because you see a price on something doesn't mean it's selling for that.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
Collect what you enjoy, not for an investment. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Just because something is going for a lot today, doesn't mean it will tomorrow.

Yeah, this was probably the biggest factor involved in why I bought the Lincoln book. He's always fascinated me so I knew it would be one I'd treasure..

And I'm glad you mentioned most books are only worth as much as people will pay for them. I've seen tons and tons of what I thought was bloated prices.. Bargains are out there to be had, but once it's all said and done these things are only made of paper. Their real worth depends on how you value them and what they mean to you, personally.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 22
I'm in biz with my family in a 25 year old bookstore. it's very rare to see a book go for over a grand. too many times people bring in 100 year old book only to find it was made in huge numbers and isn't worth more than ten.
B&N killed in store sales a decade ago.
though we're almost entirely internet, the online market is saturated.
Ah, the early days of the internet!
p.s. if you want a inexpensive book buy used online!

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 22
I collect antique books on the history of the White Mountains of Maine and New Hampshire. I have a few first editions (under lock/key/fire protection) from the mid 19th century.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #15 of 22
ugh stupid stupid STUPID i remember that ohio store had a stack of first edition Tarzans with dustcovers too, but i didn't get them because i was on a SciFi kick back in college - argh!

well i got the book because i wanted to read it, not to collect it. i think that's the best way to go about it, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back