Anyone care to look at my B&W photography?
Nov 7, 2002 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
CombineTWO-resizedsigned.jpg

I did this two months ago for my beginning photography class.

The images are taken in Bay Area of San Francisco. Currently i am attending San Jose state (freshman).

thanks for looking. any comments are welcomed.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 29
the images have titles too.

Top: Curtis

Middle- Grandparents , Self-Portrait , Curtis's Hat

Bottom- Pause. , Big Companion.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 29
Currently im using a minolta srt201 manual slr. i love this camera.

and Ilford Delta 100 b&w film.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 29
This just came up, when i look at the portraits as a whole (the way how its presented in that image) i get this happy feeling, a feeling tells us to remain strong and live a bold life.

Each of the images really tell a story. hehheheh.

and I wonder if i really manage to capture these pics. if i was there taking the pics. But yep, these photos are real, and I did see them in real life when i walked past them.

their face caught me at the moment.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 29
Hey Kenchi1983

Your work shows a tremendous "feeling-of-the-right-moment". I can see hart and soul in your pics. They are very good man !! You have good eye !!

Congrats

Ari

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 29
Ari, you are the first one to say that my images have heart and soul. its nice to hear diff comments from people

Ive shown these works before, but not as a collage.

thanks for the compliment.

One thing i really hope for is, you are inspired by looking at it. hehehehehhe.

biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 29
very awesome, looks like your prints came out really nice! this reminds me of an awesome b&w photo my friend made. umm...hope you can understand me because i forgot what it's called, i'll try my best: you know those rectangular needle things that can be used to have figures or impressions on them? you push the needle with a pen for example, the needles get pushed to the other side, and you can see an imprint of the pen. (sheesh this is horrible
rolleyes.gif
) well anyway, my friend made an imprint of his hand giving the middle finger
very_evil_smiley.gif
, and the photo turned out to be really great, it looked pretty cool
evil_smiley.gif
! i have a copy that's hung up on my corkboard
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
. and uh..yeah...nice photos kenchi..lol

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 29
btw, noticed your location, the great SF. also noticed that you attend SJ state. i have quite a number of friends that attend the same school, very cool. and have you seen this thread by any chance? just wondering just in case you would want to join some fellow bay area head-fiers for a bay area head-fi meet (that is, if we happen to have one in the distant future
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 29
Yep, it be very cool........to have a meet up, but i only have a grado sr80.

i visited that topic hours ago. well, lots of people from berkeley, one thing is....even though im from SF, i have never been to the east bay of berkeley.

i wanted to during the summer, but i was busy busy with my color photos using point and shoot.

right now, i want to try Longboard skateboarding. heheheheh. i think it will be good fun.

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 29
Yep, ive seen those needle things, they used to have it in chinatown.

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Yep, it be very cool........to have a meet up, but i only have a grado sr80.

its quite alright! who cares really, we're not having any rig contests or anything. just fun, fun, and hi-fi fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

i visited that topic hours ago. well, lots of people from berkeley, one thing is....even though im from SF, i have never been to the east bay of berkeley.

well if you ever want to go, BART is just right there (btw i must say i love bart
biggrin.gif
) and it takes you right to the heart of berkeley. but what am i saying, i don't really have to tell u that
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 29
Do you have higher-res shots? I'd love to look at some of the details.

The photo I like best is the top one. The texture on the left side works really well (is that a pay-to-piss stall?). I'd like to see a larger shot to see where you chose to focus, but from what I can see I like the shallow depth of field.

The lower left picture really works for me too. I think that the placement of the head in the frame really gives it some tension, like he is moving foward but stopped short. Because if you're following the rule of thirds for a normal photo, he's too far in the center. But for this picture moving him off the "third" adds drama. That vertical white line behind him is slightly distracting... maybe you could have re-framed to place that in front of his face?

Have you tried of Ilford FP4(ISO 125)/HP5(ISO400)? It's a nice film to work with, a little finer grain structure than Delta 100. Also, the "New" Delta 400 is almost as sharp as Delta 100, so if you find yourself limited in shutter and f-stop settings, think about stepping up, as the difference is almost impossible to detect.

All in all, some very nice work. The Chinese grandparents made me long for some real Dim Sum. Yang Sing will be my first stop when I get back home (well, maybe after Gordo's). Keep shooting!!

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 29
I started photo taking beginning of this summer, right after i graduated from HS.

Grancasa, i do happen to have a roll of HP 125, i saw it in the photo store, Adolph Gasser at (181 Second street of SF).

ive been mainly using 100, so i thought it be nice to see what result this film will give. the roll is still new, unexposed.

because the images from my 400 delta roll didnt come out good on the contact sheet, i didnt spend the time to print the images out.

Each image takes at least 1-2 hours to get it right, good thing ive improved with experience. I have my second assignment completed and critique by teacher and classmates. I'll just have to wait till friday when get home, and do the scanning.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/kenchi1983eq

for anyone thats interested in my color photos, compared to the b&w i u see up there, they arent that good. view the most current folders first. Each folder is from each of the rolls ive done, to date, ive only done like 6 fuji xtra 400 rolls (excellent color btw), plus handfull of b&w.

I do have the links to the larger images, i'll have to look for it.

If you have any type of photos scanned, i really really like to take a look, no matter what quality it is in.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back