Anyone buying Philips thesedays?
Jul 12, 2002 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone had bought the HP 890 recently?

If you did where did u get it?

And does anyone know if Philips sells the headphone stand separately??

ray

Jul 12, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 49
There were a few scattered reports that you could get the 890 in the states at some Virgin Megastores. Other than that, the only source I am aware of is Meier Audio.

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 49
HI: I havent heard much about the philips 890s lately but they were hot at one time so I bought them. Now they stay in a draw not being used at all. I find that to get the sound that I want from them that they need a lot of power. So I use the senn. 580s befor I would use the 890s. Even though the specks would suggest different.

Jul 12, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 49
It's possible that in the future they might be available in the states, but I can't say much about it. There's no surprise that you'd prefer a headphone that's twice the price of the HP890s, Lou, but for the price they're certainly a good buy.

I still enjoy mine, but I kind of wonder what they'd be like with a cord modification . . . heh.

Jul 12, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 49
i've seen the 890s in the gear for sale but i'd really like the stand that comes with some of them....its hard to find a good headphone stand....

and...i didn't really want to go and get a head..lol

ray

Jul 12, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 49
RMSzero
HI: what I ment to say is that for me the philips 890s need a lot of power to be at their max sound and at that level of power I would rather use my 580s. For give me for not being clearer on this. Those big 50mm drivers need I think good power and a good source helps also so I already have my 580s hooked up to such and use them. Also I find the 580s a lot more contible but like you said they cost twice as much. The 890s are 110.00 but need a amp and decent source for me. Maby I am wrong about this though.

Jul 12, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 49
Hello Louis! :)

Hey, Philips is now introducing the HP 910 in Brazil for about U$ 140.00, so I may get my hands on one very soon! Unfortunately, the 890's aren't coming this way. Would you like to sell me yours?

Cheers!

Alex Altorfer

Jul 12, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 49
Hello Philips lovers,

HP910 or HP890 can be obtained for 69EUR in Germany. I think it takes only 20 EUR to send them anywhere in the world. I hope you can find a nice friend in Europe who works for you.

Jul 13, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 49
Louis,

Is your HP 890 still mint condition?

Cheers,

Alex Altorfer

Jul 13, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 49
yes been in a draw no dust and used not very long because of my 580s. Still have the box they came in.

Jul 13, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 49
Alex, Lou: I don't mean to spoil your deal - but, Alex, I'd really recommend to try the fit of the HP890 before purchase. I think Philips should have made the automatic headband a little stronger. The way it is, the earcups tend to rest on/hang from one's eartips (at least that goes for my head - as well as for my collegue Schorsch (that's Bavarian for Georg(e))). Apart from that, I think the HP890 delivers fair value for the price, though I personally like the DT531 and the K240S better...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 13, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 49
I just got my HP890 a few days ago, real comfy and BIG, out of the box it wasnt that good, but soon after it was getting better
and for $100 AU, ($50US) it was a bargain!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 49
Hello Louis! :)

Good question. I suppose I'd have to mail you a U$ dollar check from a US bank for the cost of the headphones plus shipping and handling and then after the check clears and you verify the check is good you then package it in a neutral box (not the one it came in) with lots of styrofoam peanuts in it and ship it to me with the words "gift", "used", and "pre-owned" writen on it so maybe customs officials wouldn't freak out when it gets here. Gooosh, was that a run-on sentence or what? Oh yeah, there's a green sticker that goes on the box you'd have to write a low estimated value on it like U$ 20,00 or so, to make them think it's that cheap. And of course you'd include the neat little stand. As for how much I'd pay for it, well, first I wonder how much shipping would cost. Surface would take forever. Air would be quick but would cost more. If shipping costs too much, say, in excess of U$ 20,00, then it wouldn't be worth it. Otherwise I guess I could pay U$ 40,00 plus shipping or something considering it's used but in good condition which could total up to U$ 60,00 shipping included. I assume you've paid close to U$ 90.00 for it but since you aren't using it you might as well squeeze some liquidity out of that asset. Anyways, is it really that bad so you'd wanna get rid of it?

Cheers!

Alex Altorfer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back