Anyone afraid of going deaf or having tinnitus???
Mar 22, 2006 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

silence57

100+ Head-Fier
I had tinnitus for a while and it's bad. You go to sleep in a quiet room and hear a hum. Can't sleep and probably ruined your ears a bit. I'm not a doctor, but I've heard that sound above 85db causes cumulative damage. And 85db is not that high. Anyone worried about their hearing or tinnitus when in their 40s?

To me, it's the problem with headphones, especially good headphones.
580smile.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 71
I think that the damage caused by the few hours at a dance or concert is far in excess of the damage caused by anything but VERY loud, and long duration headphone listening. Thats why I always carry ear plugs on me when i go out.

I really dont think that a lot of people appriciate just how easily hearing can be damaged.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 71
Ive got mild tinnitus which also bothers me a bit when Im trying to sleep. Doesnt help that I love cranking up the volume when I hear a really good song, whether it be in the car or at home.
Doesnt help anymore now that I have my RS-1s. This things are designed to be cranked.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 71
MAN there have been a lot of this type of thread lately. Here's a link to just one: of them.

You need to practice safe headphone, and in that thread I recommend measureing using an SPL meter to make sure you listen below 80db.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 71
as long as you don't listen too loud or too long you should be fine in the long run.

at least that's what i'd like to believe...

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 71
You'd be surprised how loud is loud enough. Once you settle in to a listening session and your ears ajust, you really don't need that much volume at all.

Safe listening levels is what it's all about.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by silence57
I'm not a doctor, but I've heard that sound above 85db causes cumulative damage. And 85db is not that high.

Seems to be individual.To me an average of 85 dB(A) is quite loud.I've measured it.I usually do not listen that loud for longer periods, it feels uncomfortable.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 71
How do you tell if you have tinnitus? When I sleep at night, if I concentrate, I can hear a faint high pitch ringing. Is that tinnitus? I never listen to anything dangerously loud...

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 71
Yes I'm worried! That's why I try not to listen to music for more than 3-4 hours and have rests inbetween. Also, I try not to go to really loud concerts... Hearing is everything especially when you love your music and your headphones!

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 71
I have had a recent scare with tinny. I have it although it's faint. It has scared me wnough to make the transistion to 2 ch setup.

I want to enjoy music for a long time even though the damage might of been done.

I have never noticed it before but then again I didn;t listen for it.

I love headphone listening but I think I am done headphone wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back