Anybody with a Rio Karma interested in Ultimate Ears?
Jun 11, 2004 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gorman

1000+ Head-Fier
No, I'm not selling mine (they're not resallable, being custom molded ).

But I've been in touch with Jerry Harvey at UE to find out exactly what SPLs (Sound Pressure Levels) UE-10 Pro emit when used with a DAP.

Now, he will be conducting tests with a dummy head and proper equipment to do this, but he's got an iPod as source. With its 30 mW per channel @ 32ohms it seem to be the same as the Karma in that department.

However, if somebody owns a Karma and is interested in knowing exactly what volume it would output when combined with UE-10 (not knowing how the volume steps are setup in Karma is an example of how iPod might differ), Jerry needs a Karma in his office by next Thursday. He will then send it back the next day.

I would do it myself, but I'm based in Italy and it would be pretty tough. If somebody is willing to do this, I will be readily available to repay him shipping costs through PayPal.

PS
Sorry for crossposting this from Headphones, but if I am to find a solution for this I am to find it fast... I hope nobody will get upset.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Man I would have been happy to send mine, but alas, Best Buy has it
frown.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
I'm curious, what would be the point?

With IEM, canalphones... you have the potential to:

a) Protect your hearing, because being isolated from outside sound means you can listen to lower levels.

b) Damage your hearing, because the isolation level tempts you to raise the volume a little bit, to get more details or just because you lke it a little louder. And it's easier than with open cans to reach dangerous levels.

With MP3gain you can analyze an MP3 to know how loud it sounds on average. I would like to know, for instance, what SPLs the UE-10 coupled with the Karma reach on an 89dB song, at any given volume setting.

Because I want to understand what's a safe volume to listen to on my Karma. I like music loud and clear, but I do not want to damage my ears.

For instance:

Recommended maximum allowable exposure times (by Nova Scotia Department of Labour) are:

16 hours for 80 dBA sound
8 hours for 85 dBA sound
4 hours for 90 dBA sound
2 hours for 95 dBA sound
1 hour for 100 dBA sound
30 min for 105 dBA sound
15 min for 110 dBA sound
7.5 min for 115 dBA sound
0 min for above 115 dBA sound (there should
be no exposure at
this level!)

Jun 12, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 8
cmascatello, thanks for your very generous offer. I will wait till Monday, then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 8
I just wanted to inform everybody interested in Ultimate Ears that, hopefully by tomorrow, I will be able to provide detailed SPLs information about UE-10 and UE-5c when used with iPod and Karma.

Many, many, many thanks to cmascatello for trusting me in this. Everything went smoothly.

I believe this will be interesting information, as I have read of several users that intend to listen for many hours a day to their UE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back