Anybody use ThermoWorks ThermaPen for cooking?
May 16, 2008 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MoNelly

100+ Head-Fier
I need a good food thermometer. These are very expensive ($90 per), but I've heard they are quite good. Fast and accurate. Anybody used one, and can you tell me if it's worth the price?

May 16, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 8
Doesn't your oven have a temperature dial? Mine does. Really useful.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't your oven have a temperature dial? Mine does. Really useful.
biggrin.gif

I imagine that was a comedic/whitty quip, Duggeh. I'm sure you know of the importance of a food thermometer.

As to the OP, I use an old-school food thermometer. I've never seen the need to buy something that is over ten times the price of something I already own. Law of diminishing returns, I guess. Good luck.

Nylan

May 16, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 8
I have a Taylor Digital #9840 instant-read thermometer. Cook's Illustrated rates it as their "best buy" over quite a few others because it reads in 10 seconds like the Thermapen and is very cheap. They use a Thermapen in their kitchen, though. Many "instant" read thermometers take up to 30 seconds to actually stabilize, which is quite a pain in the ass when you're holding your hand over a hot grill.

I use an instant read thermometer all the time -- especially for checking the temperature of meat, because it's by far the most reliable method, and avoids the need to cut into the meat (which releases juices). I also use it for baking, for example when making cheesecake.

May 16, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time I ever use one is for making jam I have to confess.

Not for Haggis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back