anybody try the new Sony MDR-G82LP?
Aug 5, 2002 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
these are the behind the neck closed phones. They look pretty cool. I tried a bunch of Sennies (HD-202, 212)but I hate the way they look on me; very bulky. That's why I didn't even try the HD-497. I take them to the gym so I want a good cros between looks and performance. I tried the Koss UR-40 model and I actually liked them. They are over priced, though. They should be about $25 instead of $40. But as far as looks and performance, I do like them. I'd love to see a Headrom review of them being that my headphone vernacular is poor. My newbie-ness prevents me from giving an adequete review. I would say (with not to much experience, mind you) that the UR-40 are comparable to the Senny HD-212. Although the 212's have a lot more bass. I just wish the UR-40's had more clarity; a bit muddy.

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 18
you're going to take senn 497 or koss ur40 to the gym? Whoa man i imagine you would be sweating like hell having those non-exercise phones on your head.

I doubt those sony's will do you good. GET SOME KOSS 35'S! Take my advice, im getting 35's next week.

Great excercise phones, stay on your head and comfortable.

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 18
are the KOSS 35's that good? everybody raves about them but they seem small, and I need power. I can't stand listening to my pcdp and the volume peak is weak with a smaller headphone. Will I get good peak volume with the KOSS 35's?

Aug 5, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 18
What model pcdp do you have? You should get loud enough volume with the koss from most portables. I have the koss 50 and they are the same as the 35's except for the enclosure and they are driven easily from my pcdp as well as others I have tried.

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 18
I have a Phillips CD Player that I got from Target;thinking of upgrading. As for volume; I need a lot of it; are you sure the 35's can handle it? I have been using the Koss UR-40's and they seem to give me the volume I need. Actually,this is a better comparison. I have a pair of Sony G52LP's (they suck; they look like the KSC 55's); how do the 35's compare to those? Unless the 35's blow those Sony's away, I am not interested.

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #6 of 18
I have heard a few Sony streetstyle's and IMHO the Koss 35's are much better phones. The Koss ur40 and 35 have the same impedance so the 35 should give you as much volume.

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 18
The 35's are very good phones - I now have a pair for one of my PC's, and I've even managed to work out how to get then on properly in under an hour...

But guess why I don't wear them outside: Yup, they look hokey.

They are poor in high-noise areas, leak a lot of sound, and are quieter than most pcdp-matched ear gear.

In a reasonably quiet environment, where you don't have to turn the phones up too much, they blow the G82's away.

BUT, if you're finding that you have to turn the volume up a lot on a G52 where you are, then the 35's are unlikely to please wholly, because they are quieter.

The KSC-50's are better in terms of looks, but are a bit bulbous compared to Sony street-style and clip-on phones, and mildly but noticeably worse for sound than the KSC-35 due to the reduced contact with the ear (instead of clipping on, the 50's kinda hang down onto your ear). I haven't tried the 55's but they're said to really clamp onto your ears - might be worth a shot if you're leaning towards the 35's and want something slightly more stylistically acceptable...

Having said all that, there's one thing I hate about Koss phones - Quality Control. They're really roughly finished and there hasn't been a Koss phone that I haven't had to take a knife to in order to cut away flash, mis-molds and what have you. OK yes, I know they're dirt cheap in the US, but over here in Europe we pay fairly decent prices for 'em.

Aug 5, 2002 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by ultraviolet353
these are the behind the neck closed phones. They look pretty cool.

Well, first off, the MDR-G82 had been discontinued since Spring of last year (2001) - at least in the U.S. Second, it doesn't sound as good as it looks (at least my sample of that 'phone); there's no real bass extension, the bass is a bit overtight, the highs are tinny and honky, the mids are almost nonexistent. In other words, the G82 sounds as wretched as most $20 closed headphones.

Aug 5, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 18
Don't get the 82. The streetstyles bring a new definition of muddy bass. Like everyone says, get the 35s for exercise. I have 2. :)

And are you really sure you want to turn the volume up that loud? Ear damage can't be fun. . .

Aug 5, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 18
First off, the original poster wants closed headphones - but is open to suggestions for open-air 'phones. Second, if the gym where he goes to is noisy, then I wouldn't recommend the KSC-35 (or any other pair of open-air headphones); he would have to turn up his portable player to hearing-damaging levels just to hear any music whatsoever over that crappy ambient noise - and many recent players can't get even that loud even with their volume maxed out.

As for the G82, in addition to the statements that I've made of it in my previous post, the G82 is about as bulky as the Koss UR-40 and the Senn HD212 Pro - and the pads on the G82 get more easily soaked with sweat. YUCK!

Aug 5, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 18
I had the G52s a couple of years ago, I've got the 35s now, and they easily blow away them away, especially in terms of bass response. The koss are much more open though. I think they look better than the 50s, they're smaller and more understated, little black discs on your ears, and they fit way better too.

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 18
ok this post is just going to talk about sound quality, not wether he can use them in a gym:

I hate to admit it, and i dont admit it often, but i did once own the sony MDR-G72LP's a long time ago. They are a foldable version of the G52, and use larger drivers.

Comparing the G72 to the koss 50, no contest, its the 50's all the way. You really have no idea what you're missing until you actually try the koss portapro drivers.

Thats why im getting some koss 35's. The koss 50's sound good, but they look uber ugly, and their fit isnt that great.

Aug 5, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 18
Yes. They struck me as quite uncomfortable actually. I don't remember thinking anything special about the sound - similar to the G72's in terms of response from what I can recall (fairly wide range, good bass, but not stunning in any particular area), and if I can remember back correctly, they didn't insulate all that much. Certainly not as much as my V700.

In a noisy area, they will be arguably better than the Koss's, cuz you can hear more of the music rather than the surrounding sound + high frequency sound only from the phones, as in the Koss. But you will probably swelter in them.

But I daresay that you could cut all these considerations out with an inner-ear bud.

Buy a Koss KSC-35 anyway, what the hell, they're dirt-cheap for you guys in the US, worth having a pair in any case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back