anybody remember me?
May 8, 2007 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
anybody remember me? i have not been here in about two years...

current setup is a modwright sony 999es ->purenote ceruleans -> hr-2 -> 650/zu

am i outdated yet? or is there an hd700 and omega3's?

May 8, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 35
I don't know you, but welcome back! You should have stayed away from this site...
tongue.gif

May 8, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 35
I remember you... Welcome back!!

Nothing wrong with an HD650/HR-2 setup.

Portable amps are the rage now. Lots of really good under $200 options.
Semi-isolating canal-phones are very popular too.

May 8, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 35
I just heard that the K1K's were discontinued! What the...?
Same with the PS-1's, where did they go? What is this GS1000?
And since when did Shure expand what used to be only the e5c?

I think I am going to go to an Omega 2, or even an HE60...
Is it even worth trying for the Senny or has it been forgotten?
What about the HP1/2/3's, are they still here? Or, forgotten too?

What about electrostatic amps now, which ones are the best?

And what happened to Ray, Mikhail, Tubes, et cetera?

May 8, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i outdated yet? or is there an hd700 and omega3's?

Actually we're up to the HD750 and Omega 4 now. You've been away a while.

May 8, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 35
Head-Fis incarnate: Rip Van Winkle, the likable fellow of Dutch descent who slipped away from a nagging wife and bedded down for a nap under a shady tree in the Catskills... After 20 years in the arms of Morpheus, old Rip awoke to find himself in a different world - one he was completely out of touch with.

LOL...Welcome back
wink.gif

Check out the Denon D5000 thread, quite possibly the HD-700 incarnate ahead of its time
wink.gif

May 8, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually we're up to the HD750 and Omega 4 now. You've been away a while.

Yeah, tube amps are out of favor these days because of environmental concerns and the renewed consciousness about the green house effect, Class D amps with their >90% efficiency are in. You could get a tube amp from China for <$100 these days (Little Dot II). AKG's K1000 is discontinued because apparently AKG can't afford to pay for maintaining the machines, instead they came out with the K701 which was hot for a while but despite it being slightly cheaper is still no contest against the HD650 (not to mention the binaural HD700 and the uranium driver HD750). The GS-1000 is the new Grado statement product going for ~$800, it too was hot for a few weeks but then people realized that they look ridiculous with two blocks of wood on their heads. Shure's E(2,3,4,5)c line are in the pits being derided as too sterile and custom IEMs are the new thing. Mikil and Ray are still around but gone are the days of toasters, these days they make headamps so sexy and extravagently expensive that people are divorcing their wifes and girlfriends to afford one. HeadRoom seems to have paused its highly confusing monthly module update habit and moved on to offer new-and-improved versions of the-same-modules-but-in-different-enclosures, people around here will no doubt still find subtle differences between the HR products anyways, apparently synergy-with-the-box is very important for critical listening. To HR's credit, these days you could get a balanced amp for less than $1k with their Desktop Balanced. Ipod line-out cables are the new bling and for not much more you could get your Ipod modded so that you can't listen to it directly with headphones (but it's an upgrade, I promise). Benchmark DAC1 is the new reference DAC and computer-based audio is on the rise as evident by Empirical Audio's products of $1000 USB->SPDIF converters. You missed out on the $30 Entech DAC deal as well as the $23 speakers from BestBuy, these days they go for a lot more than that.

Anyways, welcome back, hope you like the new interface and emoicons.
wink.gif

Oh yeah, and sorry about your wallet. Again.

May 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just heard that the K1K's were discontinued! What the...?

There were about 12000 sold and therefor still easy to obtain.
Not cheap though and prices are rising for late pairs in good condition or even NOS.
Quote:

I think I am going to go to an Omega 2, or even an HE60...
Is it even worth trying for the Senny or has it been forgotten?

The Senns are anything but forgotten, but even asking questions about them normally costs $40 nowadays.I'm willing to make an exception this time since you were not aware of it due to your absence, but next time you'll have to pay like everyone else.
The HEV70 is considered to be crap and everyone is driving them by one of those fancy aftermarket amps or one of the better Stax amps.In the latter case you'd naturally need an adapter cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back