Anybody own the Headroom Micro Amp?
Oct 27, 2008 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Stevie B

Head-Fier
If so, what are your thoughts about it? Good, Bad, Price value, etc. Also what headphones do you use?

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 10
I do, I own the 07 (the one you can use portable with 9v also).
Quality wise it is a very solid product, You could probably use it as a football in a few games and it would function perfectly. The switches are solid, and the jack is well supported by the chassis. The only gripe I have is with the potentiometer, the levels aren't equal at low volumes.
Sound wise it is well pronounced and has a fair amoutn of bass slam on the 530s. Its a really clean sound. As for the 701s they naturally tend to be a bit cold and analytical so that extra clean sound doesn't necesarily add much to their glory. Though I will say some passages sound absolutely beautiful over that combo. All in all if I was in the market for an amp I would buy the micro again, especially if I was going to be using it for both portable and home use (07 version). Its pretty small and fits ina camera bag with my lod, ipod, spare batteries and 701s or shures.

Though for home only use I might look into some of the others and think hard about it.

So sound is very clean and has nice bass slam.

Dave
(Sorry I rambled a bit, just wrote a long literary analysis and started working on application essays so my mind is scrambled)

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply myinitialsaredac. I'm thinking of picking one up next week for some DT 880's or some HD 600's. I won't be using it for portable use but I need a good solid amp thats small enough to take to other houses that I go to on the weekends (friends, family, etc.). I understand about the applications I filled out mine last week but I'm transfering 57 hours so I don't need to write essays
ksc75smile.gif
! Mainly Now that I'll be at the university and broke I need a good setup that will last me for the next two years.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 10
Welcome, thats always a good thing that you dont need to write em, bit of a stressful ordeal =).

I cant tell you about the micro with each of those phones, I'm not sure whether or not the raw power is there. I dont want to disuade you, because I feel the sound I get out of it with both my 701s and the 530s to be well worth what I paid, and the flexibility to carry it with me, but for the price there "may" be another amp out there, though I cannot comment on whether there will be another amp that is that small and durable. The size really is quite surprising when you open up that white crate, its like hmm thats it?

It would definately get my rec for dorm life, accidents happen, and it is a solid product, Thats why I'm keeping mine, for the dorm, whilst my millet will stay home.

Dave

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, having enough power for those phones is what I was concerned about. From what I read on here though, is that your AKG 701's are very hard to drive properly and if the micro can drive those decently than I would asume they could drive the DT 880's (what I'm leaning towards). Although I'm not really sure, I am still new to all of this. The other option I was thinking was the micro and maybe the Triple.fi 10's (alot easier to transport), but those are low impendence and I'm not sure if the micro will be overkill or not.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 10
They drive the 701s so you can enjoy them, but they do leave room for improvement. The micro may be a bit overkill for IEMs, with the 530s on low gain I dont get it about 15% of the potentiometer haha, but I'm a low volume listener.

Dave

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 10
Yeah, I thought it would be overkill. I think I need to go the IEM route for the portability with a lesser amp. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it greatly!

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 10
In addition to what's been said, I want to add that my 2006 (9v) Micro Amp has very good low volume tracking. I don't know if that is the case with the current build of Micro Amp (no battery).

If you don't need portable (which the current model isn't) but need a small and powerful amp, another couple of amps to consider are the Grahm Slee NOVO ($320 after conversion from Euro) or the Head-Direct EF1 ($399). However, they don't have crossfeed, and are not as good for IEM as the Micro Amp - for full size headphones they are great.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Just wondering if anyone knows the difference in the sound signature between the headroom micro and the ultra micro since they use different opamps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back