Anybody own an HSU Research Subwoofer??
Nov 11, 2008 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RogerB

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the beginning stages of researching subwoofers in order to complete my 2.1 system.

Anybody own, or heard, an HSU Research sub??? They seem to get good reviews and are reasonably priced.

The sub will be matched with a pair of AV123 ELT 525monitors I bought a few months ago. Great little monitors!!!

Looking forward to some responses from HSU owners!

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 10
I'll be getting mine Thursday (STF-2). It'll be my first sub for my first set of speakers, so I'd be able to post some amateur impressions after getting it. After doing some research, I read in a lot of places it's one of or maybe even the best sub for the money.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 10
That's the one I've got my eye on!!! Please post your impressions when you can!!!

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 10
I have the VTF-1 and really like it. It's paired with some Paradigm Studio 20s. Nice punch, no boom, well made. If I want my wife's attention, I just turn it up and wait a couple of minutes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 10
I can't speak for the one your looking at, but I have had the VTF MK-2 now for about 4 months, and I think it's great. I have it placed directly behind me as opposed to the front corner where it sounds a little bit better, but I like being able to control the crossover and volume for each song.

Honestly it's a great sub, but I was expecting more. This is the first sub I have ever owned (not counting a 6" sub that came with a creative 7.1 computer setup for 70 bucks)

I usually have the crossover set to around 70hz, and I use it in full output mode. I can't really tell a difference between the two. I have a 0404 usb as source, and bx8s as mains.

I would really like to try this sub with HSUs midrange sub so I can set the mk2 to around 40-50hz, and let that one take care of the upper range.

When I bought it I was considering this and the MFW15 from av123, but they weren't going to have theirs in stock for another couple months, so I went with this. I don't regret my decision, but I'd like to have more than I do now.

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Edit: I forgot to mention, I am in a fairly large room however, being around 14x25. I'm sure this makes a difference. If your room is smaller, you may hear a difference.

Ment to put this in the post above
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 10
Hsu and SVS should be all that you need to look at for off the shelf subwoofer solutions.

I personally went with a custom built sub for my setup (that is way way overkill), but if I were looking to buy a completed sub from a company, those are the 2 companies I would look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back