Anybody have info on EICO tubes by Mullard
Apr 5, 2002 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Huck

100+ Head-Fier
I have a line on an old EICO public address system with preamp and power amp, this has some EICO El-84 tubes and some EICO 12AX7 tubes, these EICO tubes are marked as being made by Mullard.I was mainly interested in the 12AX7tubes to be used in my MG Head OTL. I think there are 6 EICO 12ax7's and about 6 EL-84's, 2 12au7's and 1 Brimar 12ax7(Mullard), also some odd-ball tubes.Any info on the EICO tubes?. I can get both pieces for $50 CAN. Is it worth lookin at, everthing is supposed to be operating. Thanks, Huck
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 3

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
I'm not sure. I have never tried them.

Keep in mind that Joe (of Joe's Tube Lore), briantf27, and I agree that most 5751's kick the living crap out of the 12ax7... even the legendary ones such as Telefunkens.

If you are curious, go for it.

Apr 5, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 3

carlo

Founder of 5 in heavy rotation
i'm currently using a mullard 12ax7 in my mg head dt and am very happy with it. slightly rich tone with plenty of detail with some speed in the upper mids and highs. if i had to live with just one tube for it this would probably be it... great for a diverse array of music. however, nick's the resident mg head rolling guru and you may just want to follow his recommendation (haven't heard any 5751s myself).

should those tubes test well (doubtfull if they were being used in a PA system) it'd be a steal just for them. however, even though the units are operating the tubes could very well be useless in the mg head, but the equipment may be worth restoring (i'm not a vintage guy but i'm sure you could find some who'd advise you). it'd be a risky investment imo.

best,
carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread