Anybody have experience with the Sennheiser HD 239's?
Jun 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
 Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. I want feedback from someone cause I am contemplating getting myself one of these. I want to get these for an entry-level open back pair of headphones (if I get these they would be my first open backs). I can get these for pretty cheap from Amazon ($120). It would be a deal breaker if these headphones were uncomfortable (which I doubt knowing Sennheiser . . . they got some comfy pads for sure
biggrin.gif
). It is pretty rare that I find a pair of on-ear headphones that are comfortable . . . most of them are almost excruciating.

EDIT: I read some reviews on Amazon for these and so far these headphones seem VERY promising. Of course, you never know if Sennheiser just had some people go on and post favorable reviews though.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
 Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. I want feedback from someone cause I am contemplating getting myself one of these. I want to get these for an entry-level open back pair of headphones (if I get these they would be my first open backs). I can get these for pretty cheap from Amazon ($120). It would be a deal breaker if these headphones were uncomfortable (which I doubt knowing Sennheiser . . . they got some comfy pads for sure
biggrin.gif
). It is pretty rare that I find a pair of on-ear headphones that are comfortable . . . most of them are almost excruciating.

EDIT: I read some reviews on Amazon for these and so far these headphones seem VERY promising. Of course, you never know if Sennheiser just had some people go on and post favorable reviews though.

I can tell you we don't do that^ :)

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 11
 Well that is good because I know that there are some brands that do stuff like that haha.

EDIT: For the record, I didn't actually think that you guys did that . . . I was just stating that it was a possibility :D.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Oh yeah and I hope that I win your guys' Facebook contest for a pair of Amperiors
tongue.gif
. I doubt I will though, I've never won anything off the top of my head . . . maybe something small
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 11
I just ordered a pair myself, I can't wait to try them out.  After ordering them I found out that acoustically they are the same as the hd 238's, the only change was a cosmetic upgrade.  So if you find reviews on 238's you should have the same experience.  238's can be had for dirt cheap at a few sources (Ebay, Amazon used).  Innerfidelity has the 239 number 1 on it's wall of fame for the ear-pad open category.   I'm curious how they will sound next to my Ath m50's. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 11
I was listening to my HD238's yesterday and was thinking "these are way under-appreciated"

I got mine for like 30 something bucks a year or two back at Best Buy on clearance.  I'm sure you can find some cheap on ebay now.

If you want to check out the sennheiser sound on the cheap, i would definitely recommend them.  They have that great senn vocal/midrange.

Really to describe the sound, I would say like an HD600 with more bass and more treble.  But not a lot more - the mids are still prominent.

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, the Sennheiser HD 518's are listed as one of headroom.com's 10 best headphones.  Their price should fall in line with your budget. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VI32xi_QVc

My impression of my new 239's is really great.  I'd put them a hair behind my M50's for sound quality.  Very very comfortable also.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 11
The 518's are actually a pair of headphones I am looking at currently . . . I am also interested in the 558's (but I don't know if I want to spend that much), the Beyerdynamic DTX 910's & the Beyerdynamic DT 440 Editions (again, I don't know if I want to spend that much though). So I guess I want to go German for my first pair of open-backs 
dt880smile.png

EDIT: Click here to go to another thread I have started concerning this.

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 11
Having just auditioned ranges of Sennheiser's headphone at their store, short answer YES!.

HD239 is really ood. In fact the HD598 which was put close by to HD239 and I went to and fro comparing the two and HD239 just surprised me. While HD239 has nowhere the resolution of its higher end circumaural headphone, it is the best portable produced by Sennheiser in my taste. The HD25-II simply had better highs kind like tuning up the treble. HD239 simply superb. Easy to say, going through the HD2*9 range from HD219 is akin like increment in the best extension with HD239 at its peak. Punchy not overly boomy bass *cough PX100-II, though those who dislike extended bass of HD239 might prefer the HD229 as it's simply a good middle ground. Good highs not to the point of fatiguing. Overall the sound could be describe in this simple analogy, HD239 is like going to your favorite burger/pizza joint. While is doesn't have the rich flavors as one you might got from the food in a 4 michelin stars restaurant, that burger hit just at the right spot for you that it'd made you clamoring to come back for more. 

Just a fun headphone, that was pretty hard to put down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back