Anybody figured out the new site yet?
Apr 28, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #211 of 509
Guys,

To edit and change the price I used this:

and to bump your Listing, made a "reply" to you own Listing, I used TTT (to the top) and it push mu Listing to the top of the FS/FT Forum.

I hope this helps.

Misha

Someone found the menu we've been working on. :wink: I made a post about this topic here.

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #212 of 509
I'd be TOTALLY ashamed if I screwed my customers as bad as you all have with this useless website upgrade. Forum subscriptions not showing up, security errors when trying to search for anything from the home page, no way to go directly to last unread message without being sent about 3 pages back, stupid Russian Hot Chick dating ads- what the F is that all about???!!!!- and a whole host of other Schiit that has completely blown up this formerly great and easy to use site.

How about staying up for the next 72 hours and getting your act together?

If I was a paying sponsor, I would be TOTALLY PYST right now!!!!

-Hate and Punches,
A FanBoy who is missing his daily Schiit fix

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #213 of 509
Nope. Go to their profile and then Start A Conversation.

Not only that, but you also have to click on the "Information" tab to be able to start a private message.
Not only is it weird not being able to start a private message from anywhere, but having to search for it under "Information" makes no sense. That's unless I'm missing something blatantly obvious.

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #214 of 509
It's there actually going to be any word from the powers that be acknowledging this site is an absolute mess and sharing an ETA of when it's going to be fixed? I've seen zero announcement.

Or is this Head-Fi now? Totally screwed?

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #215 of 509
(This is a copy of a post I made in another thread.)

Onward with the list! (I will put any future gripes in bullet list form to make them more visible.)
  • User names are now all lower case. (It's supposed to say Music Alchemist, not music alchemist! Grr. For those with subtlety in their user names, well...for example, StanD now just says stand.)...

Yes, the username capitalization error quoted above was a major bug. It's fixed. As you're hopefully noticing, bug-fixes and changes are happening regularly, and will continue to. We have five people who are working full-time on bug-crushing and iterating in response to the bug reports and user feedback here. Just some of the recent fixes and updates in the past day include:
  • Username capitalization (already covered)
  • Website navigation, including adding subscription links in the header
  • Matching XenForo terminology with their previous Huddler counterparts for clarity and familiarity. For example...
    • "profile posts" are now "public messages"
    • "Conversations" are now "private messages"
    • Working on "watched threads" = "subscriptions"
  • Highlighting links in threads
  • Adding the ability to update details to classified listings
  • And more
Joe and AxelCloris will be updating you about fixes and changes as they're made.

I wanted to say a quick word about why we made the platform change: We had to. I love the Huddler forum platform, and still feel it's the best forum platform out there. However, we were informed that Huddler would be phased out over the next months, and so the Huddler platform (along with our long partnership with Huddler/Wikia) would be coming to an end. So, for those of you who suggested that we roll this back to Huddler, now you understand why we can't. I believe someone also suggested we license Huddler: That was not an option.

Simply put, we can't go back--none of the Huddler sites can. But we can move forward, together, and would appreciate your help doing just that.

Transitioning 16 years of content to another platform from Huddler is not a simple task. If you want to keep all the content, formatting, URLs, and functionality intact, it is in fact a monumental undertaking, especially for a small team like ours. Huddler is a proprietary platform (with key components of it customized for Head-Fi), and so there were no pre-configured migration tools like the kind available to get from one open licensable forum platform to another.

We had a transition deadline we had to meet, and we met it, but only with an untold number of man-hours and sleepless nights--and some nights where sleep was had at the office on the cot or on the couch. And we're still not done done--not even close--which we knew, and as is evidenced by this thread. Again, we have five people who are working full-time on bug-crushing and iterating in response to the bug reports and user feedback here.

Once we're past the headaches of the initial phase of the transition--once we've fixed most of what needs fixing, and improved most of what needs improving through the first part of the transition--then there's a lot of fun and exciting stuff for the site ahead. We now have a lot more latitude to work with to move Head-Fi forward now that we're fully independent. We've grown our team, and we now have full-time engineering and development in-house.

First, we fix the bugs, we make the place more livable, we complete the transition of some of the key functionalities from the Huddler platform that we weren't able to finish to our (and your) satisfaction ahead of the transition date. One thing (among many) we're working on now is differentiating logged-in and logged-out user experiences, as we did on the Huddler platform. It won't be long, but, as before, logged-in users will have fewer ad units shown.

I'll leave you with this thought for now: Over seven years ago, when we transitioned from vBulletin to Huddler, the response was...rough (to put it mildly). The first days after the change are always the hardest. Just as we did with Huddler, we'll once again quickly get ourselves situated into this platform, with a lot of work over here, and with the help of your feedback. I promise you'll be seeing continuous adjustments, optimizations, feature restorations, and fixes.

Thank you for your patience and constructive feedback.

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #216 of 509
I'm reminded of a remark people have been making about the Mac in the era of "iOS-ification"—the Mac is popular because it is like the Mac, not because it is like the iPhone. Head-Fi is popular, I gather, because it is like Head-Fi. If people here wanted to talk about headphones on Facebook, they would be part of a headphone group on Facebook.

I'm well aware that change always forces users through a period of frustration. What I have no idea about is whether the benefits of the new site are worth it. Habits are stubborn, but with patience they do change.

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #217 of 509
Great post, @jude. I love Head-Fi. Have learned so much here. And it seems, still learning...

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 16.49.52.png

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #218 of 509
Great post, @jude. I love Head-Fi. Have learned so much here. And it seems, still learning...

I'm getting those ads, too, @RCBinTN. We obviously don't want those up either and will get those taken down.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #221 of 509
(This is a copy of a post I made in another thread.)

Yes, the username capitalization error quoted above was a major bug. It's fixed. As you're hopefully noticing, bug-fixes and changes are happening regularly, and will continue to. We have five people who are working full-time on bug-crushing and iterating in response to the bug reports and user feedback here. Just some of the recent fixes and updates in the past day include:
  • Username capitalization (already covered)
  • Website navigation, including adding subscription links in the header
  • Matching XenForo terminology with their previous Huddler counterparts for clarity and familiarity. For example...
    • "profile posts" are now "public messages"
    • "Conversations" are now "private messages"
    • Working on "watched threads" = "subscriptions"
  • Highlighting links in threads
  • Adding the ability to update details to classified listings
  • And more
Joe and AxelCloris will be updating you about fixes and changes as they're made.

I wanted to say a quick word about why we made the platform change: We had to. I love the Huddler forum platform, and still feel it's the best forum platform out there. However, we were informed that Huddler would be phased out over the next months, and so the Huddler platform (along with our long partnership with Huddler/Wikia) would be coming to an end. So, for those of you who suggested that we roll this back to Huddler, now you understand why we can't. I believe someone also suggested we license Huddler: That was not an option.

Simply put, we can't go back--none of the Huddler sites can. But we can move forward, together, and would appreciate your help doing just that.

Transitioning 16 years of content to another platform from Huddler is not a simple task. If you want to keep all the content, formatting, URLs, and functionality intact, it is in fact a monumental undertaking, especially for a small team like ours. Huddler is a proprietary platform (with key components of it customized for Head-Fi), and so there were no pre-configured migration tools like the kind available to get from one open licensable forum platform to another.

We had a transition deadline we had to meet, and we met it, but only with an untold number of man-hours and sleepless nights--and some nights where sleep was had at the office on the cot or on the couch. And we're still not done done--not even close--which we knew, and as is evidenced by this thread. Again, we have five people who are working full-time on bug-crushing and iterating in response to the bug reports and user feedback here.

Once we're past the headaches of the initial phase of the transition--once we've fixed most of what needs fixing, and improved most of what needs improving through the first part of the transition--then there's a lot of fun and exciting stuff for the site ahead. We now have a lot more latitude to work with to move Head-Fi forward now that we're fully independent. We've grown our team, and we now have full-time engineering and development in-house.

First, we fix the bugs, we make the place more livable, we complete the transition of some of the key functionalities from the Huddler platform that we weren't able to finish to our (and your) satisfaction ahead of the transition date. One thing (among many) we're working on now is differentiating logged-in and logged-out user experiences, as we did on the Huddler platform. It won't be long, but, as before, logged-in users will have fewer ad units shown.

I'll leave you with this thought for now: Over seven years ago, when we transitioned from vBulletin to Huddler, the response was...rough (to put it mildly). The first days after the change are always the hardest. Just as we did with Huddler, we'll once again quickly get ourselves situated into this platform, with a lot of work over here, and with the help of your feedback. I promise you'll be seeing continuous adjustments, optimizations, feature restorations, and fixes.

Thank you for your patience and constructive feedback.

Thanks for working on this. It is appreciated.

If I may add three items that needs to get back:

1 - Bring back the "Threads I started" option under our Profile.

2 - Bring back "PM to take this further" button on Classified.

3 - Associate an ad / listing for each feedback added. As it is now, I can go a leave fake feedback for anyone I want. This is crucial to the integrity of the Feedback system.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #222 of 509
Good news: no more 1k character limit. Let's see that Utopia review :)

-Collin-

OK, I'm still re-checking some of my own notes against listening for accuracy and still need some multiple passes on the verbiage to try and insure it says what I want it to and check punctuation and grammar (within my style of writing) to make it passable. Writing reviews is a lot more involved than one would think from reading a finished product. Thanks for your interest.

PS: I'm getting better at navigating the new format, the more I practice the better I get!

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #223 of 509
What about where I can get to the admin login section?

I'm not sure I understand this question, could you clarify it for me please?

Thanks for working on this. It is appreciated.

If I may add three items that needs to get back:

1 - Bring back the "Threads I started" option under our Profile.

2 - Bring back "PM to take this further" button on Classified.

3 - Associate an ad / listing for each feedback added. As it is now, I can go a leave fake feedback for anyone I want. This is crucial to the integrity of the Feedback system.

I can at least help with number 1. We have a "threads started" section, but at the moment there's a few steps to get to it. Start in your profile, click on the information tab, scroll down to the bottom and choose "Find all threads by..." We're looking into ways to make this more easily available to Head-Fi'ers, but for the time being at least it's there. For example, here's your list.

We're continuing to improve the experience with the classifieds, and a simple "PM me" style button is something we're considering. We're also looking into tying the feedback to the listing, similar to how it was on Huddler's system, but there's the possibility we may go a different route for making the feedback system better.

We're continually working on the site, so hopefully it won't be long before we can get everything polished nicely.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #224 of 509
headfi has been my number one go to forum in terms of frequency. I love what Judd has created here and I appreciate what I've learned. I don't want to hate, but I hope it gets tweaked and fixed because it's buggy as all get out especially on the iPad.
Tons of ad banners which I'm sure creates revenue but man, the way it's currently constituted I don't see myself spending as much time as I have, too bad really.

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #225 of 509
The mobile site is unusable for me on an iPhone. I keep getting security errors whenever I try to search something or post a reply. I have to request the Desktop site to do anything. Very annoying. Makes me long for Tapatalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back