Anybody ever had to have Sensaphonics repaired?
Jul 16, 2006 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
I'm afraid I need to send my Sensaphonics in and have them repaired. I've had them for a year and a half, and now the right monitor is not working properly. It has almost no volume, and what is there sounds awful.

Has anyone here sent their Sensaphonics in for work?
I'm a little worried about how much this will cost me. And, a lot worried about how long I will be without my monitors. I can't live without them.
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 18
Jul 16, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 18
Well, that is just plain interesting.
I was thinking that since the tubes are clean that wax wouldn't be the problem. I may be wrong.

If they want 600 bucks I will just buy another pair.

Jul 16, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Well, that is just plain interesting.
I was thinking that since the tubes are clean that wax wouldn't be the problem. I may be wrong.

If they want 600 bucks I will just buy another pair.

But in the end, you'll still be stuck with your first defective pair... please explain why paying more than 600 bucks (new pair) if can you can repair your first pair for 600?

Jul 16, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 18
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a new pair of IEMs from someone else.
I won't spend 600 bucks a year maintenance on one pair of phones. Part of the reason for going with custom IEMs was to get away from constantly buying filters and foamies for my Etys.

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 18
are u a musician that can claim such expenses from your company? I really found it to be a ridiculous policy and when ppl buy sensas, they need to be aware of this problem. I think the ear wax maintenece is even more hidden. for etymotic u can buy your filter and change them. For the sensas u pay $600 to clean them? u gotta be kidding

Jul 18, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
................................I really found it to be a ridiculous policy and when ppl buy sensas, they need to be aware of this problem. I think the ear wax maintenece is even more hidden. for etymotic u can buy your filter and change them. For the sensas u pay $600 to clean them? u gotta be kidding

I agree. If this is just a wax problem, it's not right to charge someone $600.

I spent all day at work, so I didn't get to call Sensaphonics. I will update this thread when I get in touch with them.

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 18
Sensaphonics called me today.
The lady said that the techs had checked out my monitors. The right one was indeed dead as I had stated and the left one had no highs. They said this was due to wax and moisture. The monitors will need to be remade. She said the price of this is $300 plus shipping.
So, I said go for it. I was asked if I wanted to change anything like the color or the cord style. I told her I didn't care what color they do them in, and I liked the cord I had. Right now they are running about 21 days turnaround, but my monitors are already in line, so it may not be quite that long.

I will post again when I get them. It will be interesting to see what color I end up with.
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 18
I know you're not thrilled with 300 bucks, but it does sound more like the cost of doing business rather than so close to the cost of new IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, were the highs rolled off?
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I know you're not thrilled with 300 bucks, but it does sound more like the cost of doing business rather than so close to the cost of new IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, were the highs rolled off?
tongue.gif

I'm still planning on changing brands of IEMs. This way I can wait until next year. I don't really want to go through this every 18 months or so.

I never thought about the highs rolled off until you mentioned it. Just a couple months ago, I first used the EQ settings on my DJ to boost the highs. I was kind of figuring it was because of my hearing loss in the high range. But I've had that loss for many years.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I'm still planning on changing brands of IEMs. This way I can wait until next year. I don't really want to go through this every 18 months or so.

I never thought about the highs rolled off until you mentioned it. Just a couple months ago, I first used the EQ settings on my DJ to boost the highs. I was kind of figuring it was because of my hearing loss in the high range. But I've had that loss for many years.
biggrin.gif

I'd love to see what the ACS t2i is all about. Apparently it's better than Sensas, from the reviews comparing it to the old t2-xs.. and I think, _think_, they're putting wax filters on them. You'd still have to send them back in, but it's not a 300-600 repair.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 18
Phoenix Hearing Instruments
Westone Elite Series and Universal Series in-ear musician’s monitors.

Phoenix Hearing Instruments
Unit 6
49 Butterfield Street
Herston QLD Australia 4006
Tel: +61 7 3852 4622
Fax: +61 7 3852 4633

They quote me less than AUD$200.- I will let you know the results once I have received my repaired Sensaphonics.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 18
Gawd, I missed my Sensas.
They arrived yesterday. I arrived today.
The grand total was $306. $6 for shipping, and $300 for building a new pair.
First thing I noticed is that the part of the chord that goes over the ear has a double curl, where my old ones had a rather loose single curl. These seem to curl around the ear a little farther, and tighter. I'm not sure I like it though.
I have mine set up with the detachable cord. They sent me a new cord, and returned the old one.
They molded them in the same white, red and blue colors as my old pair, but they aren't exactly the same. I think the new pair's colors look better. I told the lady on the phone that I didn't care what color they used. I was half expecting clear ones from the way she seemed to be promoting the clear ones on the phone.
This pair fit a little better than my old pair did, which is nice.

So, it took about a month from the day I mailed them off. I am happy with my new pair of Sensas, but a bit disappointed that after only 18 months of use I had to have a new pair. If they would put filters in them, this wouldn't be necessary. I talked to a coworker that wears hearing aids. He has some rather high end hearing aids and they have filters similar to the Etymotic ER4 filters. I guess the pain in the butt of buying and changing filters seems pretty minor compared to 300 bucks for a rebuild every 18 months.
I must admit that I do use the Sensas a lot. I have them in for 6 to 12 hours at a time 4 to 6 days a week. Even while doing strenuous activity and working up a good sweat in the ears. I am going to cut back on that kind of usage now.

Next spring I will actively search out a different brand of in ear monitor.
Right now, I am just so happy to have my Sensa back!

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #14 of 18
#1: So what that the problem? A simple driver failure?

#2: Has it been since (approx.) your final post in the thread that they've been out of your hands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back