Anybody been Rolfed?
Mar 19, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sisenor

500+ Head-Fier
If you've been Rolfed what was your experience? Was it restorative/healing and did it feel natural (after the 10 sessions were over and your muscles back to normal) or did it feel overly invasive and like an unnatural system had been applied to your body? Did you have a lot of cathartic emotional release? Do you feel much better emotionally and physically or only somewhat? Was it life-changing or really not that big of a deal? I've been thinking about it for a while but I want to hear some testimonials. For those of you who don't know what Rolfing is it's a method of bodywork using soft-tissue(connective/myofascial) manipulation. Each of the 10 sessions systematically focuses on a different part of the body and the last couple sessions integrates them all. After it's through, the aim is for your body to be in better alignment with gravity. That was not a good description but think a cross between massage and chiropractic.

Mar 19, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 8
my friend usually gets the japanese shiatsu, which almost puts him to sleep, that's how relaxing it is. but ONCE he went to a Rolfer, and they went Farfegnugen on his arse. This is NOT relaxing - they go way beyond deep tissue massage - he said it was pure pain because what they do is actually MOVE muscles around in there to realign them to where they should be - he said it was like they were moving bones and tendon in there. He said he was more sore after that then he ever was with his normal back pain - but after a few days he went back to his normal dull pain and it made him appreciate how good he had it.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
my friend usually gets the japanese shiatsu, which almost puts him to sleep, that's how relaxing it is. but ONCE he went to a Rolfer, and they went Farfegnugen on his arse. This is NOT relaxing - they go way beyond deep tissue massage - he said it was pure pain because what they do is actually MOVE muscles around in there to realign them to where they should be - he said it was like they were moving bones and tendon in there. He said he was more sore after that then he ever was with his normal back pain - but after a few days he went back to his normal dull pain and it made him appreciate how good he had it.
evil_smiley.gif

Well, they don't actually move any muscles around. Connective tissue is very maleable once it's heated up. So, the Rolfer heats the connective tissue--with hands and elbows--and it becomes gel-like and then reforms in a state with better tone. Basically, there are several layers of connective tissue, so when working with the deeper levels it probably does feel like they're moving tendons around and stuff. Major goals are to balance relationships between flexor muscles and extensor muscles (which have become chronically shortened) and to free adjacent muscles who's fascia have become glued together. See, where chiropractic is often a symptomatic magic bullet and doesn't deal with the underlying mechanisms causing a disc problem or whatever the problem is, Rolfing is more holistic as it both recognizes more the interconnectedness of the body and its problems and also deals with muscle behind skeletal problems or what have you. My goal is not to go have a relaxing session, it is to deal with several problems with long term results.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 8
I went to one session a couple years ago. My wife got pregnant and I decided to save my money, so I never went back.

It hurt like he77, but I don't know that it felt like anything more than an intense massage. I don't know anything about it - but it strikes me a suspiciously "natural", which is sometimes a code word for "unstudied". Believe me, the guy really did go deep. I swear he was pushing his finger through my abdomen enough to touch the mat below me. It was kind of cool, if nothing else. He would occassionally say "wow, there it goes" and say that he had broken through the tissue, but I didn't feel anything special.

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
I went to one session a couple years ago. My wife got pregnant and I decided to save my money, so I never went back.

It hurt like he77, but I don't know that it felt like anything more than an intense massage. I don't know anything about it - but it strikes me a suspiciously "natural", which is sometimes a code word for "unstudied". Believe me, the guy really did go deep. I swear he was pushing his finger through my abdomen enough to touch the mat below me. It was kind of cool, if nothing else. He would occassionally say "wow, there it goes" and say that he had broken through the tissue, but I didn't feel anything special.

I don't know why I'm constantly defending Rolfing if I haven't had the nerve to get Rolfed but it is just very intriguing...anyway, from what I know Rolfing has been around for quite some time and is more refined now (and also thereby less painful) and so now there are different applications other than how it was initially designed which was a 10-series. What I'm saying is if you didn't follow through with your 10-series which is what it sounds like you started its not really surprising that you didn't get results. (You can now find someone to do a one-time session for a distinct problem) I know what you mean..I went for a consultation with a Rolfer and he did my arm and I felt nothing. But I've heard people getting divorced after being Rolfed because it is healing and the new person is no longer compatible with their wife/husband.

Really, nobody's been through the whole thing..damn

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant

i would take it a step further and say save your money. alot of these things are hocus pocus with weird philosophies attached to them. What? you go in for a rolf massage and come out getting a divorce? if you are interested in it give it a shot but i think these things are half pyschic rip offs and shenaigans.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 8
I go once a year for a tune up. I'm a fairly active squash player in the winter and avid golfer in the summer. Rolfing really helps keep my lower back and right arm muscles in sync.
My ancient older brother first introduced me to this kind of message 15 odd years ago when I visited Australia and found the flight there excruciating to the max...Could not sit for that long a trip without my back killing me. He took me to a place in Perth that had sorted out his 'tennis elbow' in double quick time and, thank goodness, were able to do the same for me. A good job as we did a ton of driving whilst I was there. Went back for a second visit before I left and they mentioned the nearest type of message to theirs in the States was Rolfing. Haven't looked back since.
As I said, after the first few visits I now go back just once a year...Squash kills your back and legs and golf is not much better so to be able to still play both those sports I go and see my Rolfer....No, it's not a relaxing hour in the least, but I find myself able to sleep better and do all the other everyday stuff without all the creaking that guys my age go through
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back