any wired Bluetooth headphones with good SQ?
Nov 4, 2008 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

blub

New Head-Fier
a "wired bluetooth headphone" might seem like an absurd contradiction or an unnecessary duality, but here's what I was thinking about:

Looking for a new MP3-player, I was/am thinking about maybe getting the Sony A829, partially for its bluetooth possibilities.
But, after thinking some more, I realized that I don't really need to be able to have wireless transmission between my future MP3-player and my headphones. What I could use however, is the wireless transmission between my cellphone and my headphone.
This is because my MP3-player can sit in my pocket or on my desk while listening and following the wire to find the player ain't that hard.
But when my cell phone rings and I'm walking around or whatever, I to often miss the call searching for my mobile phone in all my raincoat- or backpack-pockets.
tongue.gif
Listening to music doesn't help, as I simply sometimes don't hear my phone ringing...
L3000.gif

=> So, what I really could use in some occasions, is a wired headphone, that also has bluetooth (and a mic), to be able to pick up the phone.

I was wondering if there was any good-sounding (!) headphone on the market with this feature.

=> Another option would be an element you would have to connect between the MP3-player and the headphone, that has bluetooth and a microphone. I don't know if that exists either :s

Anyone knows anything that could fit these needs?

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the quick reply!
I was actually fearing to get this answer.
But my hope was set on the fact that the SQ only has to be really good when connected through the wire, as the bluetooth-connection would only be used for phone conversations.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by blub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a "wired bluetooth headphone" might seem like an absurd contradiction or an unnecessary duality, but here's what I was thinking about:

Looking for a new MP3-player, I was/am thinking about maybe getting the Sony A829, partially for its bluetooth possibilities.
But, after thinking some more, I realized that I don't really need to be able to have wireless transmission between my future MP3-player and my headphones. What I could use however, is the wireless transmission between my cellphone and my headphone.
This is because my MP3-player can sit in my pocket or on my desk while listening and following the wire to find the player ain't that hard.
But when my cell phone rings and I'm walking around or whatever, I to often miss the call searching for my mobile phone in all my raincoat- or backpack-pockets.
tongue.gif
Listening to music doesn't help, as I simply sometimes don't hear my phone ringing...
L3000.gif

=> So, what I really could use in some occasions, is a wired headphone, that also has bluetooth (and a mic), to be able to pick up the phone.

I was wondering if there was any good-sounding (!) headphone on the market with this feature.

=> Another option would be an element you would have to connect between the MP3-player and the headphone, that has bluetooth and a microphone. I don't know if that exists either :s

Anyone knows anything that could fit these needs?

Get a motorola S705 BT pendant, and plug in your favorite audiophile headphones into it when you need bluetooth with MP3 player or cell phone. It has a built in microphone and shirt clip, so any headphone can be used for phone calls or music.

It is very good sounding for BT and can drive many headphones decently. I use one with the Motorola D800 transmitter with my bedroom TV/DVD/Speaker system and plug my Grados into it to listen to the TV shows and movies at night.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 19
thanks!
The motorola S705 BT does look like a really interesting device! The screen to see who's calling, the FM-radio, the distance over it would work over. Only the battery life seems quite low...
It would be the ideal partner for the Sony A829
regular_smile .gif

But not so for the Fuze , as the S705 doesn't seem to have a wired audio-in, for connecting the mp3-player to an mp3-player with no bluetooth.
frown.gif

Is that correct?

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

thanks!
The motorola S705 BT does look like a really interesting device! The screen to see who's calling, the FM-radio, the distance over it would work over. Only the battery life seems quite low...
It would be the ideal partner for the Sony A829
regular_smile .gif

But not so for the Fuze , as the S705 doesn't seem to have a wired audio-in, for connecting the mp3-player to an mp3-player with no bluetooth.
frown.gif

Is that correct?

You have me confused. Sorry.

The S705 doesn't add bluetooth transmission to anything that doesn't have BT, it is a BT receiver not a transmitter. The S705 has the advantage of letting you listen to any of your wired headphones wirelessly with any BT capable Mp3 or Cellphone/PDA or other BT transmitter.

You can use a Jabra BT transmitter with 3.5mm plug to send wireless music from the Fuze to the S705. I have a Jabra A120 that sounds decent and plugs into any headphone jack to transmit via bluetooth, but battery life is also not the greatest. This link may not be the best place to buy but has a good photo of it: Jabra A120s Universal Bluetooth 1.2 Stereo Music Adapter/Transmitter (3.5mm Jack) from etopsell.com

I bought the A120 to use with my Jabra BT620 which sounds good but have poor battery life, turn on too easily by accident, and have no wired capability like the Motorola 820 does. But the Motorola 820 didn't sound as good as the Jabra 620, so I didn't recommend it, although battery life is over 14 hours. But, yes the Motorola 820 can be connected by a 3.5mm mini-mini cable to your MP3 player without using wireless. That was when I discovered the S705 which sounds good with many of my audiophile headphones, and I can unplug the headphone from the S705 and plug it directly into my MP3 player when I feel like it.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 19
There are Samsung players that has bluetooth can Technically connect to cellphone and work as handsfree. The last time I checked it was waiting for a firmware to enable this feature, not sure what is the status now.

I have a Motorola bluetooth headphone that also takes wired connection. I have no recollection on how it sound like, so it probably isn't outstanding.

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 19
sorry for the confusion
redface.gif

I'll try to be a little more clear.
What I would like to find is a headphone that works with bluetooth AND can also used wired (e.g. with a removable wire).
That way, I could connect it to the Fuze or any other MP3-player with the wire, and have my cellphone interrupt it through Bluetooth when I get a call.

That way, I would have the best of both worlds, without having to add another piece of equipment somewhere in one of my pockets.
Another solution would be a device like the S705, but that would also have a line-in, so that it could receive sound both through a wire and through bluetooth and pass it through (wired) to a good headphone.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 19
Isn't it make more sense to have the player connected to the phone, and you get the choice of any phones from iBuds to custom IEMs, than to limit yourself to an extremely limited set of bluetooth headphones which are not designed with sound quality as prime consideration? Of course, unless you don't really care about sound quality.

Samsung P2 Review

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

sorry for the confusion
redface.gif

I'll try to be a little more clear.
What I would like to find is a headphone that works with bluetooth AND can also used wired (e.g. with a removable wire).
That way, I could connect it to the Fuze or any other MP3-player with the wire, and have my cellphone interrupt it through Bluetooth when I get a call.

That way, I would have the best of both worlds, without having to add another piece of equipment somewhere in one of my pockets.
Another solution would be a device like the S705, but that would also have a line-in, so that it could receive sound both through a wire and through bluetooth and pass it through (wired) to a good headphone.

But with the S705 you don't need a pass through - just unplug the wired headphone from the S705 and plug it into the fuze. Why would you want more stuff in the signal path?

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 19
I'd rather not have any more stuff in the signal path...
But It's just that I'd like to here when someone is calling while I'm listening to music (e.g.listening at work or on the train etc.). It happens, when I'm listening to music, that I don't notice it's ringing or that I have to look for my mobile for to long so that I miss the call
icon10.gif

So, if I plug the headphone straight into the Fuze, the bluetooth device won't do me any good as I could just carry the phone closer to me instead of that device...

The device Shadesbass mentioned is exactly what I'm looking for!! (bluetooth, built-in mic, wired audio-in)
...but with a standard jack instead of the Ipod connector so that I could use it with any player. (I know it couldn't act as a remote for the player in that case, but I could live with that.)

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 19
Hi blub,
I have a Sony NWZ-A829 now, primarily for its superior wired sound quality, but also for the bluetooth feature.
I have been using a very little known bluetooth v2.0 headphone from Dell (BH200). Sound quality is the best I've heard from bluetooth, and is comparable to stock wired headphones. I can use the headphones at a distance of about 25 feet with no degredation in sound quality.
There are very few BT v2.0 headphones on the market, but they are light years ahead of v1.0 headphones. They key is to make sure the headphones are v2.0.
The other BT v2.0 headphone i can recommend is the Sony DR-BT21G. There is supposedly a slight hissing problem with the headphones according to reviews. Aside from that, I'm not sure about the difference in sound quality from the Dell, but the Sony is at least twice as expensive.
Dell never offered the BH200s separately, only with an XPS laptop purchase, but you can find them on Ebay. I ended up buying 3 pairs, with the lowest price paid about $25 (Dell sells w/ XPS system for $99 extra)
For the price/sound quality, I can highly recommend the BH200.
Has anyone heard the Sony DR-BT21G before?

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 19
Almost forgot, the BH200s have volume, track, and play/pause controls all on the side of the headphones. When I pair them with my NWZ-A829, I keep the mp3 player in my pocket and can control everything with the headphone alone.
I gave one of the BH200s to my mom to use with her sony ericcson cell phone, and whenever a call comes in, she can answer it, switch calls, and hang up without ever messin with the cell phone itself. So when shes jogging and listening to music, the phone will notify her of a call, and the music will pause while she answers the phone. When she's done with the call, she can hang up and the music will start again automatically. All without ever using the phone itself.
To be honest, it amazes me how people have given up on bluetooth when there is so much potential. And with the new lossless format of bluetooth supposedly coming out soon, it will be very interesting to see how the wireless audio market unfolds

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 19
If SQ is important why would you want bluetooth? If SQ is not important why don't you just use bluetooth headphone with your cellphone as source? With flash cards nowadays is so affordable.

And why do you have to use your Fuze? It's not designed for that purpose.

The Samsung allows you to listen to any headphones without anything else in the signal path, and still be able to hear and answer calls. Isn't that problem solved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back