any way to reduce gain on my zhaolu 1.3?
Dec 7, 2007 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
the output on my Zhaolu is too high. I have had some issues with it in the past, but never that bad. However with my two most recent purchases, a Marantz Sr7001 receiver and a MPX3 SLAM I am running into problems. The Marantz's Peak light shows and the sound gets distorted at times because it can't handle the inputs and I can't turn the volume up past 7 o'clock on my mpx3.

I've considered getting some of those RCA adapters to reduce gain by 3db or 6db, but I realize that is not an ideal fix. So does anyone have any experience with the Zhaolu 1.3? Can I change the gain on it?

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 8
You should be able to change the gain on it as it probably has some type of feedback loop. Any schematics available? I would think that Ori would know...

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 8
well Ori helped me figure out how to just add some resistance to the output to attenuate by 20db. I kinda already knew how to do this, but wasn't entirely sure so I can do that if I need to, but I think trying to change the resisters in the feedback loop would be a better solution.
pictures:

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well Ori helped me figure out how to just add some resistance to the output to attenuate by 20db. I kinda already knew how to do this, but wasn't entirely sure so I can do that if I need to, but I think trying to change the resisters in the feedback loop would be a better solution.

If you put a voltage divider on the output, then that's just doing the same thing one of those in-line RCA attenuators would do.

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kinda already knew how to do this, but wasn't entirely sure so I can do that if I need to, but I think trying to change the resisters in the feedback loop would be a better solution.
pictures:

Maybe... This being said, if there's a buffer with gain at the output, it also probably serves as analog filter. If you don't want to change the filter's curve, you will probably have to change some caps along the resistors.

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 8
What opamps does this use? Singles or duals? Look at what is hanging off of pins 1, 2 and 3 particularly, and in the case of duals, how they are configured. Identify the feedback loop components. If the buffer is a filter, it may not be within the feedback loop and would therefore (I think) be unaffected by the gain of the previous stage. Use a DMM and ohm the thing out, and see if you can draw a schematic of it. At this point I would assume that no one is going to come up with one, and if you want to do it this way, its up to you to well... do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back