Any way to adjust the balance of a LD mk 3?
Oct 14, 2008 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AndrewZander

Head-Fier
So, either my right ear isn't what it used to be, or the left channel on my LD mk 3 is outputting at a higher level than the right. Can this be adjusted?

I don't have a manual for the amp. So, I don't know if this would be covered in it.

Also, I've swapped the tubes from one side to the other and the sound levels are the same.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 11
Also, there're unbalanced tubes sometimes, users want to get rid of them usually. Post a request, that you want to to buy a tube with stronger right
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 11
I checked the gain settings and both channels are the same.

I switched the headphones around and the louder channel went from being on the left to being on the right.

Also, when testing out the same headphones on another amp, this sound level difference doesn't occur.

Maybe I keep picking up music that is mixed in a way that prefers the left channel?

In the amp's defense, the difference is subtle, but it's there.

Is there a way to adjust the sound level for an individual channel on the amp itself?

Thanks,
Andrew

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 11
Try turning the volume pot up a little. I have similar issue if the volume pot is below 20.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 11
Hi Andrew, I just contacted the builder. According to your problem, he suggested:
1. There are two gain-switches inside the amp, which have to be the same position.
2. Put the left connector of your rca inter to the right input on the amp and the right connector to the left. (on reverse)

good luck

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 11
Sounds like unbalanced tubes to me. These tubes are decades old and if you didn't get them from a seller who tests and match them in pairs it's very common to have channel imbalance problems. Try switching the tubes around and see if the imbalance follows.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 11
Little Dot MK III Introduction
Thank you for purchasing the Little Dot MK III vacuum tube headphone amplifier! Hope this manual can help
you easily enjoy your Little Dot MK III’s sonic capabilities.
Before you use Little Dot MK III, please read this manual carefully. If you have some other problem, please
contact us or visit our website Little-Tube, and we will answer all your questions as soon as
possible.
The All-New Little Dot MK III succeeds our Little Dot II++ by improving upon it in every possible
way. Boasting the highest stability and sound quality yet, the sound-stage realism and imaging precision
have improved dramatically over our previous amplifiers, and even at high volumes the Little Dot MKIII
delivers a smooth, non-fatiguing sound with no hint of dynamic compression or imaging fuzz. Of course the
liquid warm midrange tube lovers expect is here in spades, balancing right in with a dynamic low-end and a
sweet, airy treble. Tracking precision with low distortion is provided by an ALPS-16 potentiometer, and
Rubycon, German WIMA and ERO capacitors ensure the internal circuitry is built with quality in mind.
The Little Dot MK III also adds in user-tweaking options such as two gain switches to delivery maximum
compatibility with all your headphones, regardless of impedance or sensitivity. Also available for the very
first time in a Little Dot amplifier, is an internal jumper to allow use with a wider range of driver tube-rolling,
including the EF92, EF91, CV138, CV131, WE403A/B, GE5654, M8100, CV4010, EF95, 6JI as well as all
equivalents to these vacuum tubes!
Little Dot MK III Technical Specifications:
 Frequency response: 12 hz~100 Khz (-1dB)
 THD+N: 0.15% (80 mW @300 ohm)
 Power Output:
 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
 300 mW @ 120 oh
 100 mW @ 32 ohm
 Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
 Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm
 Pre-Amplifier Output Impedance: 10K ohm
 Pre-Amplifier Gain: 3-10x (also controlled via gain switches)
 Pre-Amplifier Voltage: 10V RMS
 Pre-Amplification circuit includes both driver and power tubes
 Driver Tubes: 2x GE5654
 Power Tubes: 2x Soviet 6H6PI
 High quality aluminum chassis
 Dimensions (Metric): 270mm deep by 175mm wide by 123mm high
 Dimensions (English): 10.6 inches deep by 6.9 inches wide by 4.8 inches
 Weight: 3 Kg or 6.6 lbs
Little Dot MK III Gain Control
The Little Dot MK III has two internal, red DIP gain switch boxes, which controls the gain of the amplifier.
You can access the gain switches through the center oblong hole on the bottom of the amplifier. Please
power off the amplifier, and unplug it for at least 10 minutes before attempting to change the gain settings (to
ensure capacitors have fully discharged).
Each red box (that has two switches on it) controls the gain for its particular channel. Under most normal
circumstances, you would want the same gain in both channels so please remember to configure the
switches on each red box identically with respect to the other:
Switch 1 Position Switch 2 Position Gain Suitable For
OFF OFF 10 High impedance headphones
(300+)
ON OFF 5 Medium impedance/sensitivity
OFF ON 4 Medium impedance/sensitivity
ON ON 3 High sensitivity headphones
Note: The gain settings also affect the pre-amplifier output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back