any vegan/vegetarians here?
Nov 8, 2005 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

enjoi_rootbeer

500+ Head-Fier
thanksgiving is coming up and i was wondering if there are vegan/vegetarian members here. i've been a vegetarian for some time now but this would be my first thanksgiving preparing anything. what do you make for thanksgiving? please share some of your favorite recipes! any suggestions? maybe tofurkey? or just a post!

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 55
i am sorry
frown.gif

jk good luck with the not eating meat and stuff

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 55
Tofurkey is pretty nasty stuff. Just make your favorite dishes. Most thanksgiving stuff is free of meat anyway. Simply skip the turkey. Or make any kind of dish you enjoy. I used to be a vegetarian, and often had things like veggie chili or lasagna.

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MintGreenGoblin
Tofurkey is pretty nasty stuff. Just make your favorite dishes. Most thanksgiving stuff is free of meat anyway. Simply skip the turkey. Or make any kind of dish you enjoy. I used to be a vegetarian, and often had things like veggie chili or lasagna.

That sounds like good advice.

My best friend is vegeterian, so I have shared alot of meals with him.

There is so much about the Thanskgiving meal that celebrates grains and veggies, that it should keep you full (and happy).

If that doesn't work, eat some turkey
very_evil_smiley.gif

...just kidding
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 55
That's right; gotta stuff the turkey! Every turkey needs a good firm stuffing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Well, that all depends on where the turkey goes!
very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
confused.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 55
personally i like tofurkey, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

one year, a friend of mine made a turkey entirely out of mashed potatoes... he even sculpted and browned it to look like a roast turkey. it was hilarious, and mighty tasty too.

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 55
I am vegetarian but I figure if you want turkey eat turkey. Just my feeling on things that look like meat. That said my kids sort of like tofu dogs and some of their friends like them better than meat dogs.

I have know people who found eating those meat substitution things made it too hard to be vegetarian. They were trying to be for health reasons not some other reasons.

I have not tried the tofu turkey myself I just make a really great meal for my non veg family when they come over for holidays and most of them are now eating very little meat.

Pumkin soup served in a pumkin if an idea for soup.

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 55
I am mainly vegetarian but I still eat fish, shellfish, etc.

I haven't eaten chicken, beef, or pork in over five years and never will again.

For Thanksgiving I usually go for mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, black-eyed peas, lima beans, stuffing, cranberries, slaw, salad when I'm with the family. If it's just some friends and myself things can get interesting. Coconut Curried Tempeh/Tofu with sweet potatoes always hits the spot.

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 55
I'm have been vegan for two weeks now, and this will be my first Thanksgiving not eating meat.

I have not really thought about what I will do, but am not really worried either. Worst case scenario I end I eating some bread, salad and soup or something, and that would be totally fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back