Any University of Illinois U-C Head-fier's out there?
Oct 23, 2002 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Born2bwire

25+ Member ;-)
Yeah, after seeing Gluegun's thread and the number of responses, I decided I should try and search out anybody near me. So...anyone here attend (or God forbid teach) at U of I at Urbana-Champaign? I know of one other, jim so that's a start.

Oct 23, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm visiting there monday November the 4th, does that count?
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm a junior in high school. How is it? Sorta scares me that its so far away from Chicago(ie: a major city)

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 20
It's like a friggin oasis
biggrin.gif
. It has the conveniences of suburbia, mall, movie theater, and you have the Krannert Center which provides plays, operas, and various symphonies (both resident and visiting). So it isn't representative of what you find if you travel say 15 miles in any direction. There's an active bus service back to the Chicago suburbs and really it's only a 2.5 hour drive up to Naperville where I reside (though it can be tad longer if you don't want to have to keep an eye out for cops, they're all over Iroquis County). What major are you interested in? Or at least what college?

Oct 24, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 20
smily_headphones1.gif
This makes me very excited! Symphonies!
biggrin.gif
STUDENT DISCOUNT, I presume?
wink.gif

I'm interested in Electrical Engineering(one of the primary reasons I'm considering Univ of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign

Oct 24, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 20
ECE major here, so we should have a lot to talk about (hmmm, now I've got a crony lined up to build me amps!). The University orchestra concerts and operas are cheap for students, usually at $8. However, when a professional orchestra comes through town (last year we had the Leipzig Orchestra and the BBC Concert Orchestra for example), it's usually in the mid $20's for students. Still, it's reasonable and it adds a touch of class to a campus that sometimes has the waft of South Farms in the air (not as bad as we like to joke about). The ECE program is good I take it, it can be very annoying and I would prefer a real textbook over the collection of teacher's notes that most of my classes use, but there are advantages to both. I also forgot to mention Assembly Hall, the host the basketball games there and a lot of other events and concerts. I saw Aerosmith there last year, and this year I didn't see anything that stood out for my tastes (there's Cher....ug...) and one interesting event was they had the Lipizzaner Horses. And of course this year only we get to host the Bears games
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 20
hello fellow illini audioholics! I am a CS major, graduating in may 2004.

Krannert is definitely very cool. Faculty performances are a dirt cheap $2, and many times there are master classes that are open to the public. Quite coincidentally (or not), I will be going to Krannert tomorrow evening for La Pasion Segun san Marcos, and also this saturday to see Ian Hobson, one of the piano professors on campus.

If you really like it, you can join KCSA (Krannert Center Student Association) and usher shows. After a semester or two of ushering, you pretty much get to choose the shows you want to see to usher. It's pretty cool, I was in KCSA's marketing department my freshment year.

Oct 25, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 20
Hail Alma Mater! By the way andrew, go to Papa Dels on Green St. when you are there for pizza. Best stuff you'll have outside Chicago (maybe even better than Chicago).

Oct 27, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 20
andrzej, what is that, French or something
biggrin.gif
. I haven't tried Papa Del's yet, but itll have to be food of the Gods to best Lou Manalti's from back home. So, out of a student body of 20-30 thousands and a history going back into the 1800's, we have:
Two students.
A prospective student.
Two alumni (assuming that srapp is one, not sure if you're a student or alumni)

Yay us
rolleyes.gif
!!

Oct 29, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
andrzej, what is that, French or something
biggrin.gif
. I haven't tried Papa Del's yet, but itll have to be food of the Gods to best Lou Manalti's from back home. So, out of a student body of 20-30 thousands and a history going back into the 1800's, we have:
Two students.
A prospective student.
Two alumni (assuming that srapp is one, not sure if you're a student or alumni)

Yay us
rolleyes.gif
!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back