1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips on foam or putty and the acoustics inside headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by donaldekelly, Mar 26, 2005.
  1. donaldekelly Contributor
    Any tips on foam or putty and the acoustics inside headphones. A lot of people on the headphones threads are doing their own Blu-Tack mods and adding cotton or foam - but no one seems to be able to quote an authoritative source about acoustics inside headphones.

Not that they don't know what they are doing - I would just like to know for sure what I am doing as I mod the insides of my HD280-Pros!

Any general principles on modding the inside of phones? Any sources of info on this?

All I could find so far (on Headwize) is that good headphones use some kind of foam to soak up richocheting sounds (I forget the real term) which can cause the phones to sound off.

My Sennheiser HD280 pro has no foam so I added some with the Blu-Tack and it has more bass. BUt did I screw up the treble and mids? I don't know and I have such poorly educated ears that I would like some kind of researched objective guidelines - if they exist.

Maybe modders do know what they are doing - for instance Tyson and his Blu-Tack mod - but I don't know if his information is correct or just his private subjective experience (which is all I think he claims it is).

The Blu Tack and foam mod I did brought out a lot of bass. But was it the BLu-Tack as Tyson said it would be? Or was it the foam as Meier Audio (tips page I think) said it would be?

-- Also posted in the DIY section. --

2. donaldekelly Contributor
    Out of luck I guess I am.

Somewhere on the headwize site there is mention of a book that was the only book that covered such things. I will have to see if I can buy it I guess.

The Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook by John Borwick http://headwize.com/faqs.htm#tech