Any Tinnitus sufferers notice this phenomenon with canal phones?
Aug 16, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
that is really strange, until I joined head-fi I never really knew about tinnitus. When I concentrate I can hear the sound, but as soon as I don't concentrate anymore everything is fine. I never realized you could hear this sound and I have been listening to headphones for years now.
Is it possible that everybody might have it to some extent and it is just more pronounced in some than it is in others?

My recommendation; go to an audiologist or ENT you have nothing to loose... well except for what the doctor bills you.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
use shure canalphones. the background hiss will cover up any tinnitus.
wink.gif

the shures will rolloff the tinnitus like it does to music
eek.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

wink.gif

I agree, I'm using the E4 with the iHP-140 with other headphones I can not hear any hiss noise but with the Shure I can. Anyway that doesn't seem to solve the problem. I can distinguish the noise of my tinnitus, the noise from the device and the hiss noise from the recording (mostly AAD CDs).

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #34 of 38
I think mine, too, is a high-pitched, almost doggie-tone/overtone sound. Thankfully, I don't notice it much unless I pay attention. I found it was made worse the first time I put on canal phones, but since then my ears have been fine, I think.

It's interesting that audiologists use the ultimate IEM -- the hearing aid -- to deal with chronic tinnitus. These days, many sufferers have been the victim of work-related tinnitus (using piledrivers, work in the military, industrial equipment). Playing music too loud is a risk, but probably more benign unless you're in a blaring concert setting.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
These days, many sufferers have been the victim of work-related tinnitus (using piledrivers, work in the military, industrial equipment). Playing music too loud is a risk, but probably more benign unless you're in a blaring concert setting.

I think benign is a really bad choice of words. It may be benign in comparison, but it is easy to permanently damage your hearing with headphones if the volume is too high or the exposure too long.

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

wink.gif

Only if your amp or source puts hiss into the line...
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edil
Now can somebody explain this to me, I took a test with an audiologist and she told me that my hearing is excellent for not calling it perfect, no hearing loss at all. For example there are son TV set with electronic parts that resonates or vibrate at certain frequencies causing high pitch noises. I can be in a room with other people and nobody is able to hear that high pitch noise except me. How can I have tinnitus if my hearing is good?

I have slight tinnitus but have always been able to hear a TV on the next room when it's on "Video 1" or whatever, just by the high-pitched whine many of them make... CRTs at least.

And the hum of fluorescent lights have always driven me nuts.

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #38 of 38
I worked in a loud factory doing aircraft manufacturing for many years. Loud screaming airtools, rivet hammers, air grinders all around me. About 3 years ago developed severe tinnitus in left ear. I thought it was all the noise that caused it even though i always wore earplugs or earmuffs. I developed carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrists because of the physical demands of my job. Seeking some relief from the carpel tunnel i started to research natural remedies. I read that B-vitamins and also magnesium supplements helped carpel tunnel so i began to take them regularly because they really helped control my pain. To my amazement in about 6 weeks my tinnitus went away and has never returned. I do have about a 20% loss in the higher sounds in my left ear so i think ear damage from loud sound was the cause of this loss. To make a long story short, try different things, medical doctors dont have all the answers to this problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back