Any Thoughts on Jays?
Mar 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DogMeat

100+ Head-Fier
I've read a bit
about them, never had a listen.

And I wonder what anybody who's heard them thinks, and t's vs. q's?

Kind of wandering around in IE land, trying to decide on some things.

Any experiences are welcome.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 11
q-JAYS is a lot better than any of the t-JAYS. The only reason to prefer t-JAYS is bass quantity, which they do offer a lot. Other than that, q-JAYS is pretty much the better option.

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 11
How would you,(anybody 
smile.gif
), compare them to Yuin OK1s?

Here's the dealio- I'm sort of shopping for something alternative to my Klipsch s4s and my line up I'm looking at includes the qJays, OK1s, maybe the Sleek sa 6rs, also got the ETY 4ps on the list.
I guess I'm really looking for something that offers a LOT of clarity and a decent stage. 

Thinking about Sennheiser ie8's but that's a bit of a different bracket, I'm thinking.

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 11
if you don't mind ordering from japan, i'd definitely consider the ortofon e-q5s. you can get them directly from Musica Acoustics, took about a week to get to me in the US, such a great company to do business with. the phones sound absolutely incredible. amazing clarity and a fairly large stage. they make everything feel like you're at a live show. check them out

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 11
The q-JAYS are extremely comfortable and tiny. They disappear in your ears. For me their bass is adequate and I never use any EQ'ing, always flat. Did I mention they are tiny?:)

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 11
wow.

This is getting more and more difficult to decide.

I've been reading james444's shoot-out pages and his remarks about those orofons.
And now I am leaning rather HEAVILY towards them.

Should I still be even thinking about Senn ie8's any more in my future?
Reads like the orofons have a nicer sig for classical music, one of the things that made me consider ie8's as a leader for an upscale purchase.

Why buy two IE's when a single set may well fit the bill?

Oh the decisions.
This may well give me a stress-induced migraine......

blink.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 11
i think you'd really like the ortos. i've only had them a few days and they've completely blown me away. i've heard some top tiers but never actually owned them except for the phones in my sig, but I've never had such a positive reaction in the innital listen sessions like i had with the e-q5s. they are excellent with classical from what i've heard so far. i'd say their utmost strength is in acoustic music but all genres sound great. even 2pac's voice sounds as if i'm across the glass from him in the studio. pretty remarkable if you ask me. not to mention they are absolutely beautiful looking in ears (mine are in the red color). please don't confuse these with bass monster headphones like the IE8. these will not blow you away as if your standing next to a subwoofer. you will probably enjoy hip hop on those more so than the ortos, thats just what they are made for. but for someone that craves clarity, detail, stage, and just effortless live sounding listening, i cant recommend the e-q5s highly enough. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 11
how much do you like them mark? One thing that surprises me about them is that the midrange seems to be very dynamic. It is not as recessed as I expected but instruments in these regions seem to jump in and out in terms of presence. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
i think you'd really like the ortos. i've only had them a few days and they've completely blown me away. i've heard some top tiers but never actually owned them except for the phones in my sig, but I've never had such a positive reaction in the innital listen sessions like i had with the e-q5s. they are excellent with classical from what i've heard so far. i'd say their utmost strength is in acoustic music but all genres sound great. even 2pac's voice sounds as if i'm across the glass from him in the studio. pretty remarkable if you ask me. not to mention they are absolutely beautiful looking in ears (mine are in the red color). please don't confuse these with bass monster headphones like the IE8. these will not blow you away as if your standing next to a subwoofer. you will probably enjoy hip hop on those more so than the ortos, thats just what they are made for. but for someone that craves clarity, detail, stage, and just effortless live sounding listening, i cant recommend the e-q5s highly enough. 

SOLD!

Hmmm.
Now I just have to choose a colour.................

etysmile.gif

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
how much do you like them mark? One thing that surprises me about them is that the midrange seems to be very dynamic. It is not as recessed as I expected but instruments in these regions seem to jump in and out in terms of presence. 

oh i very much like the q-JAYS, its one of my favourite upper end IEM's.  it hasa  great mid range and high end with very good lows too if a touch light

Users who are viewing this thread

Back