Any take on Apple's new In-Ear Headphones?
Jan 7, 2004 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DwightLooi

New Head-Fier
I just came across the fact that Apple has a new In-Ear Headphone available while reading up on the new iPod Mini. It is apparently a canal phone and like everything from Apple it looks nice.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html

Now I must say that Apple's Earbud sounded really craptacular to me. No offense, but despite the 18mm neodynium drivers they are no better then the $15 stuff. Hence, I am hesitant to give the new Apple canal phones a try. At $39 they aren't really expensive but no cheaper than say Sony's EX-71SL.

I haven't heard the EX-71s but the EX-70 (which looked to be very similar and uses the same drivers) sounded OK to me. OK, but not great. I find the bass not just over emphasized but muddy and lacking in agility as well. The vocals seems to be bland and somewhat recessed. The upper end is bright and fatiguing. Nonetheless, I couldn't stand the bassless Etymotics ER6P or MDR-E888s so I kind of stuck with it. Sometimes I wish they still make the MDR-E484; that is not great but it is better than anything in its price range available today and unlike the E888 its comfortable! I am thinking whether I should spend the $39 to give the Apple product a try.

If anyone has heard the new Apple In-Ear phones I'll like to get an opinion or two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back