Any suggestions for a new PCDP?
Jul 18, 2002 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

riddley

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I'm new to this board and I'm looking for some suggestions for a brand new portable CD player (PCDPs I think you call them around here).

Unfortunately I don't have time to go hunting for second-hand or older models right now, so I'm hoping that someone can recommend a curent model.

I will be using it with a headphone amp & good headphones (probably the AirHead & Ety 4s in case anyone's interested).

I'm looking in the mid-to-low price range - I've already blown my budget on the headphones. I've seen the Sony DEJ955 & 1000 mentioned on this board, but I'd like to spend less than that if I can. I don't care about features or appearance; sound quality -with an amp - is all that matters.

I've heard that the Panasonic CLT570s were good - does anyone know anything about the current CLT590?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 10
riddley,

The current SL-CT590 is nowhere near the same caliber PCDP as the CT570. The CT590 is all plastic, and (depending on which country the CT590 may be marketed for) may not come with a remote or a line-out. And its headphone out definitely blows compared to that of the older CT570 - talk about dull and lifeless there!

Jul 18, 2002 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Okay, no current PCDP sounds very good from its headphone jack. The headphone output jack on all of the current models from both Panasonic and Sony roll off the highs, and lack deep bass extension at all whatsoever. At least that particular Sony has a line-out jack (but not an optical one - it's analog only). However, that particular Sony model isn't currently available in the U.S. - we Americans can't get any of the D-EJ75# series PCDPs without a car kit (the two D-EJ75# series PCDPs marketed in the U.S. - the D-EJ756CK and D-EJ758CK - both come with a car kit that some people may not need or want). Instead, at the price which the D-EJ751 would have sold for, we Americans get super-stylish Sony PCDPs based on the bottom-of-the-line D-E35# series (which uses the much less effective ESP Max rather than the G-Protection).

Jul 18, 2002 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 10
Alright then, from what you've said it sounds like for someone like me who:

1. is using the line out not the headphone jack (has an amp)
2. doesn't really need optical out (has no MD)
3. wants to save money
3. is in Australia

the D-EJ751 is a reasonable choice for a PCDP. Would you agree?

From searching the posts on this forum it seems like no-one else is interested in any new PCDPs except the D-EJ1000 or D-EJ955. I can see that the build quality would be a lot better and they have an optical out - but is the sound from the line-out going to be much better?

Thanks for your help, by the way.

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 10
AFAIK, all sony CD players from the same generation use the same circuitry, so the 751 should sound the same as the more expensive players.

Sony players have excellent line out, so i think your choice is reasonable, provided that they do use the same circuitry as the more expensive players

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 10
go for the panasonic 570 - or if you are lucky also the 470 , they have IDENTICAL sound , the 570 have few extras , the 470 is VERY VERY cheap for the quality of sound .

I tried 5 panasonic , 470 570 590 790 and an old one Technics - Panasonic .
4 sony ( also the 925 ) -
2 philips ( they sound good to me )

go definitely with one of this 2 panasonic ,they are built well , have plenty of options , design is still good (surely better than 580 590 790 ) , and the sound is the among the best you can find in portable market .

Jul 18, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 10
do they still sell the sony d-ej725 or d-ej721 in austrailia?

i can still find some of those locally, and they should do the job. There are 2 reviews on them here. I think they complain about its headphone out being bad, but since you'll be using an amp it shouldnt be a problem.

Jul 19, 2002 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
do they still sell the sony d-ej725 or d-ej721 in austrailia?

The Sony ej725 is still available in Australia and some stores still have the Panasonic ct470. I had a 725 and the build quality is much better than this years replacement model.

Neb

Jul 22, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 10
There is no replacement model for the D-EJ721 or D-EJ725 per se. The D-EJ75# series replaces the D-EJ62# series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back