Any Singaporean Head-Fiers out there ?
Sep 13, 2009 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I have tried to find accurate and *current* prices on headphones in Singapore, but the examples I do find are for phones that I have little interest in, or the info is more than 12 months old. 100 Aussie dollars will currently get me more than 120 SGD (onshore rate), and I will be there in mid-December. I have read

Here are examples of Aussie prices on the Grados that I would be interested in, preferably if these numbers were SGD rather than AUD
jecklinsmile.gif

SR 325i - $500
RS2i - $880
RS1i - $1200
GS1000i - $1500

I've tried sgheadphones.net, but their feedback on prices often seems to be a case of the blind leading the blind - this is an example of the advice given there:

Go Jaben try 2. Then the JVC head over to Funan?

It seems to rely on the posters being resident in Singapore - fair enough, but where is the web presence for these retailers ? The Jaben online store is woeful, with the exception of these Beyerdynamic packages:

Jaben Online Store

I accept that I dont usually take a notebook shopping with the intention of reporting back to Head-Fi on the price of local goodies, but I could give you a fair estimate of most of the popular headphones in our market purely based on hours of drooling over various online product descriptions.
darthsmile.gif

I currently have about 3K Aussie burning a hole in my pocket, but hanging on until December will be worth it if I can get any of the above for a significant amount off the Aussie price. Feedback most welcome.

Thanks,

estreeter

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 22
Try this website:
www.sgheadphones.net
Ask the members for the prices; prices are not allowed to be discussed on www.jaben.net since it is owned by the Jaben Store.

The place to get your headphones at a good price:
www.stereo.com.sg
They have two outlets and their prices are reasonable even without packages. And yes, compared to the prices you quoted, they are cheaper in Singapore. For eg. List price for the RS1i is SGD$1200.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 22
Stereo is the headphone store to go for if you're in Singapore. Excellent service, wide range of product, clean and neat store, best of, very good price. It new outlet is located in town at Plaza Singapura, along Orchard Road. Almost all headphones and IEMs are available for audition including those high-end stuff like ED8 and W5000.

I'm one of the happy their customer. Bought most of my stuffs from them. Highly recommended!

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereo is the headphone store to go for if you're in Singapore. Excellent service, wide range of product, clean and neat store, best of, very good price. It new outlet is located in town at Plaza Singapura, along Orchard Road. Almost all headphones and IEMs are available for audition including those high-end stuff like ED8 and W5000.

I'm one of the happy their customer. Bought most of my stuffs from them. Highly recommended!

Is their PlazaSing branch as complete as the main shop? I haven't gotten the chance to visit it yet.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is their PlazaSing branch as complete as the main shop? I haven't gotten the chance to visit it yet.

It's pretty complete, they even have the SPL Phonitor and Auditor there when I popped by last week.

@estreeter: Stereo Electronics is quite easy to get to. Take the train to the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station, there is an exit to Plaza Singapura, go that way and take the elevator to the 4th floor. It's a pity you can't come in time for out October headphone meet though.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kchew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty complete, they even have the SPL Phonitor and Auditor there when I popped by last week.

@estreeter: Stereo Electronics is quite easy to get to. Take the train to the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station, there is an exit to Plaza Singapura, go that way and take the elevator to the 4th floor. It's a pity you can't come in time for out October headphone meet though.

It would be nice to meet you guys and try out different stuff!
biggrin.gif

Too bad I don't plan to go to SG for the near future...
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 22
Yea.. moreover.. the stereo @PS has...
Ultrasone HFI-780 Aron Mod V2 ;D

wonder if he is done burning it in =X

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 22
Wow - sounds like there is a vibrant headphone scene in Singapore : I suspected that was the case, but wasn't sure how bad the economic downturn had affected people's disposable income. Here in Oz, we said 'Damn the torpedoes !' and staged a consumer-led revival by shopping till we dropped
smily_headphones1.gif

k3ct, I'd also be interested in any feedback you can give us on the availability of good headphones in Jakarta - I know from my lone trip to the capital that you have some massive shopping malls, but I wasn't looking for anything electronic on that occasion.

Thanks again to all who have responded - I will also be in KL and Bangkok over the course of my holiday, and I'll post my headphone shopping experiences (good or bad) for other Head-Fiers who may be venturing to the region.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 22
Jakarta has some scene but it's not as centralized. It is a huge city. You need to look hard to find headphones- mostly those that are sold are mass-market ones such as sony and (lower end) senns.
I think generally headphones and portable audio are more favored in very densely populated regions such as Singapore and HK. Indonesia is a bit behind in these areas. Yet, generally the speaker/ home setup scene is much livelier. Vinyl scene as well. You can look for vintage vinyls at Jalan Surabaya.
Because you will cover many cities, I suggest that you narrow down what you look for in different places; whatever Jakarta has in terms of portable audio, Singapore and HK will have more. Therefore do your head-fi thing in those areas, and utilize your time in Jakarta and Bangkok for something else
smily_headphones1.gif

All in all, have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back