Any Sim Racing Fans?
Aug 31, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #136 of 181
Sorry, I forgot about Battle of Stalingrad.

For many years the best flight sim (WWII) was a series called IL-2 Sturmovik. It was very well done and huge in scope by the end. The developers then moved on to a Battle of Britain simulator which was a complete, utter, total dog - basically ruining the good name they built up with the first series.

Another developer released an amazing WWI sim a few years ago, Rise of Flight. It's absolutely brilliant (if you like WWI kites). They have now been contracted to take on the IL-2 Sturmovik license and are releasing The Battle of Stalingrad next spring (with early access this fall). I imagine they will develop other theatres too if it is a success. Based on the RoF, everyone has high hopes.

If you have any interest in WWI flight sims, check out the RoF stuff on youtube, there are some amazing videos out there.

Edit:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/LgmVEzSUPKU.[/VIDEO]

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #137 of 181
Yes GSC has great AI. But AI is just AI once you get taste for multiplayer it´s hard to go back.

rFactor 2 AI is quite good also. If you get along side they will leave room for you but then as always they can get mysteriously slow at some corners etc which make them a bit hard. But AI is never perfect I would say GSC is the best I seen yet though.

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #138 of 181
Yes GSC has great AI. But AI is just AI once you get taste for multiplayer it´s hard to go back.

Agreed.

But the AI is always available to race when I can, they tend to be in the same time zone as I, always have good pings, and they don't seem to mind waiting around when I press pause to go look into one child's crisis or another. :wink:

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #139 of 181
Used to play Simraceway. Used to play, as I'm stopping simracing for a while to take a breather. Probably going to pick up a new controller (thinking of the Thrustmaster GPX Lightback).
I also used to play GTR2 and I've played Gran Turismo 5. I think that Simraceway is good, but they're still tweaking the engine and individual car physics, so the cars handling may change over time.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #140 of 181
Quote:
Any RaceRoom fans here?

Not sure; I've played the Formula RaceRoom add-on for RACE07, but I have no other experience with RaceRoom. I found the Formula RaceRoom to be quite accessible and not exactly the most difficult to drive, but fun enough and very easy to get the hang of, as opposed to rFactor where I spent my first five laps crashing at most corners. Never have been able to find many people online, however, so I can't say for sure.

EDIT: Intrigued by Simraceway - I'm planning on giving it a look later.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #141 of 181
I've dabbled with RaceRoom and it seems pretty decent, especially considering you can play the base game for free. I mainly stick to PCARS though (it's still pretty rough but it is improving month to month).

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #142 of 181
For some reason I couldn't get into Raceroom. I just didn't like the feel of it. PCARs looks good and I can't wait until that comes out.

Anyone else here plan to get the Oculus Rift when that comes out? I can imagine it bringing sim racers to a whole new level, being able to freely look around while driving is going to be awesome.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #143 of 181
  For some reason I couldn't get into Raceroom. I just didn't like the feel of it. PCARs looks good and I can't wait until that comes out.

Anyone else here plan to get the Oculus Rift when that comes out? I can imagine it bringing sim racers to a whole new level, being able to freely look around while driving is going to be awesome.

I'll definitely be picking one up a Rift when it comes out, I may even shell out for a developer version later this year just for pCARS. My only concern with it is the fact that you can't see your sim setup when racing (i.e if you have a fully built cockpit with buttons, readouts, etc.).

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #144 of 181
  I'll definitely be picking one up a Rift when it comes out, I may even shell out for a developer version later this year just for pCARS. My only concern with it is the fact that you can't see your sim setup when racing (i.e if you have a fully built cockpit with buttons, readouts, etc.).

That is true, I hadn't considered that. I'd imagine it would make using an h-shifter especially hard.

But I'm a noob who normally either sticks to automatic or uses paddle shifters so it's all good here. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #145 of 181
  That is true, I hadn't considered that. I'd imagine it would make using an h-shifter especially hard.

But I'm a noob who normally either sticks to automatic or uses paddle shifters so it's all good here. 

Nothing wrong with paddles, I generally prefer to use sequential (with clutch) as well. As for you standard H shifters, I'm sure that won't be much of an issue after an hour or two of play. I mean it's not like you need to look at your gear stick every time you shift when driving in real life. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #146 of 181
I remember the sim racing game that got me into cars. Tokyo Extreme Racer for the Dreamcast. I love that game so much. It was the first racing game I played where you could customize the appearance and upgrade the engine and chassis of the car. That game is the reason why I love the RX-7 FD and R34 Skyline GTR. When I got my PS2, I played GT3:Spec like a nut. Then I played Need for Speed Underground 1 and 2 which brought me back to my days of playing Tokyo Extreme Racer. After those games, my love for sim racing declined. I didn't enjoy playing GT4.

When I got my PS3, I tried GT5 and I completely lost all interest in sim racing games.

If another NFS Underground or Tokyo Extreme Racer was made, I'd definitely play those. I guess I'm more interested in street racing that is somewhat unrealistic compared to real driving simulators like GT.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #148 of 181
I recently spent a lot of time looking into Sim Racing when I came across a decent deal on a cockpit and Fanatec base and wheel.

I have to say that it looks like sick mad fun.  I've got a gaming PC that would probably do well but my current living arrangement is not so much cockpit friendly and I'm not doing to jack around with some flimsy wheel stand.

someday....

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #149 of 181
You don´t have a desk you can hook the wheel up to or a bedroom?

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #150 of 181
  You don´t have a desk you can hook the wheel up to or a bedroom?

Yes I do. As of now my gaming PC and desk/chair are in storage. I'm limping along with a laptop and PS3.

But...I'm about to make an address change and my PC will for sure be coming out of storage, finally.  I still don't know if I want to go whole hog on a racing sim set-up.  I try to keep my gaming from taking over my life so I have to be choosy about what I get into so that I don't eliminate time for other things I want to play.  With TESO right around the corner, it could be dominating my gaming time. Spending a grand or so on sim racing hardware, would be really dumb if I only used it a couple of times a month.  

Besides that. My gaming rig is getting old and with the current generation of titles I'm thinking some new hardware is going to be in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back