Any runners here? I'm confused!
Mar 29, 2006 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

dvallere

500+ Head-Fier
All right. We live at the end of a long residential road which has sidewalks on both sides of the road, and bike lanes on the edges of the road itself. Why do runners choose to run in the bike lane rather than on the sidewalk? This seems more dangerous to the runner (possibility of being hit by a car) and it certainly makes me nervous when I pass someone running in the bike lane.

Only about 1 in 10 people does this, but I never have the nerve to slow down, roll down the window and ask why they're doing it
etysmile.gif
especially since most of them are listening to iPods.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 34
yup knees.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 34
I run in the bike lanes (when possible) because I get tired of weaving in and out of sidewalk traffic, especially in the city. Plus, I usually do my distance runs anywhere from 5:50 to 6:30 pace, so that can save my knees a lot of stress.

edit: Just want to add that if you're listening to an iPod while running, then you're a recreational jogger
biggrin.gif
No offense to anyone, but it's something that always makes my teammates and myself laugh when we see it
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Just remember always run against the direction of traffic.

Yeah, I wondered about that; these people are always running in the same direction as traffic.

Sidewalk is harder than blacktop! Who would have guessed, especially since sidewalks are only designed to bear the weight of people/strollers and roads are designed to bear the weight of cars and trucks...heh...

Thanks all.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 34
Once I saw a video of a man crossing highway and got hit by a car at 80MPH. The man flew about 20 feet high in the air then landed like a doll (the type that all joints have 360 degrees of freedom).

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 34
I read an article once that showed the differences between blacktop, asphalt, and a crushed limestone trail. The differences were staggering, even between the blacktop and asphalt! And if you stretch that out over 10-15 miles, it can really take a toll on your body.

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Get good shoes. It doesn't matter where you choose to run.

right, and wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back