Any recommendations for a IEM to pair with Fiio X5
May 12, 2014 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

john dough

New Head-Fier
I just got the Fiio X5, which i am very much enjoying with my Shure 215s.  I would like to do a little better than this for a portable though.  I have some cool headphones like the q701 and Beyerdynamic DT880, but I feel a little silly leaving the house wearing any of those.  The 215s are definitely cool and work well for stage performance with the isolation and all, but are maybe a little sketchy for walking, driving, riding bike, etc.  I also own the UE SuperFi 5 and am not particularly impressed with it.  Personally, I like a bit more bass, wide soundstage with good separation and detail.  Trying to keep it in the 75-150 dollar range.  I'd like to get the most out of the X5 as the portable player it is but can't really afford higher end.  Any thoughts/recommendations?  I'm open to a portable headphone, but am thinking an IEM is a better option.  Thanks in advance.

May 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 9
There's plenty of options in this price range.
I'm very much enjoying Havi B3-pro (ver.1) but it may be a little bass light given your preferences.
You can try Monster Gratitude - while they're quite big, they have great bass and great overall sound - they can be found very cheap.
I can also recommend TDK ie800 or maybe Klipsch X10.

May 13, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 9
Either Ostry KC06 or (read about the low isolation)...or... (for $200, yes we're pushing it) most certainly Dunu DN-1000.

Or possibly Vsonic VC1000 for about $120. < Good isolation.

May 14, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Based on what i've read about these suggestions, I think i'm most interested in the Yamaha eph100, tdk ie800, or possibly stretching for the dunu dn1000.  I wish some of these were more readily available for in store purchase though.  Which of the suggestions would be most excellent with the X5 i wonder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back