Any (re)views of the ASL SR-Head?
Jun 24, 2002 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

afogs

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm in the market for a headphone amp. My budget is extremely limited, and as a result I am very interested in finding out about the ASL SR-Head, which costs $199. But, I can't find anything about it online. In a recent thread, JMT said we should stay tuned for an SR-Head review, but he last said that on April 16th, so rather than simply wait I'd like to see if anyone has any information about the amp they could share.

Thanks much,
Matthew

Jun 24, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 10
afogs

Welcome to Head-Fi. I have been auditioning the ASL SR-Head here for the last couple of weeks and am in the process of writing my review. There are some other forum moderators that will be receiving the amp and writing a review of their own. The reviews then get sent to Joe Lau of ASL for his comments prior to posting here.

I will tell you this, the amp sounds very good. I owned the Creek OBH-11 with the OBH-2 power supply and, from what I remember about the sound of the Creek, The SR-Head sounds a bit better to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the quick reply, JMT! Wow, is that service or what?

So it sounds like it will still be a couple of months before the review sees the light of day. That's really a shame, because I am without a way to listen to my music until I get a headphone amp!

I realized that I don't even know even the vaguest technical specs of the amp, or that separate power supply that the photograph shows it with. I am searching for information on it because of ASL's excellent reputation and because the Creek is the only other sub-$200 amp. A choice would be nice, and passing up a better amp because I am in too much of a hurry to wait for information seems silly. So I'd appreciate anyone's help on this.

Thanks again,
Matthew

P.S. Oh, yeah, and I'd be really curious to know how well the "variable DSP (surround)" works.

Jan 5, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 10
With your limited budget, you can get you more amp for your money by buying a used solid state vintage integrated amplifier or receiver off of eBay or Audiogon, etc. There are several good threads to read on the subject of vintage gear here on this forum. If you shop wisely, you can pick up a great amp or receiver for under $100.

Jan 6, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt
With your limited budget, you can get you more amp for your money by buying a used solid state vintage integrated amplifier or receiver off of eBay or Audiogon, etc. There are several good threads to read on the subject of vintage gear here on this forum. If you shop wisely, you can pick up a great amp or receiver for under $100.

My only interest in this amp is the surround possibilities with DVDs.

Jan 6, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 10
If you have a DVD player that offers DTS 5.1 decoding, or a separate decoder, you can feed the left, right, center, and surround channels to multiple amplifiers. Some of the vintage gear was designed for quadraphonic (4-channel audio), so there are four separate amplifiers in these integrated amplifiers and receivers. Which amps to look for depends on how much power you will need for the speakers in your home theater system. Generally, the surround channels don't need nearly as much as the front channels.

Jan 6, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mkmelt
If you have a DVD player that offers DTS 5.1 decoding, or a separate decoder, you can feed the left, right, center, and surround channels to multiple amplifiers. Some of the vintage gear was designed for quadraphonic (4-channel audio), so there are four separate amplifiers in these integrated amplifiers and receivers. Which amps to look for depends on how much power you will need for the speakers in your home theater system. Generally, the surround channels don't need nearly as much as the front channels.

I meant surround through headphones.
I already have a 5.1 receiver for non headphone use.
See my Dolby headphone rant here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back