Any Ravers out there?
Mar 5, 2007 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

WhatMACHI

500+ Head-Fier
Well after staying away from the trance/house scene for quite some time and for obvious reasons i just got back into it, and realised how fun it can be to go out and have the time of ur life with rock'n music and a group of friends
biggrin.gif

Anyone else out there use to or currently rave, whether it be in clubs or the huge events?

Ferry Corsten is the big geust at Sublime in sydney this weekend
biggrin.gif
$55 for tickets this week, where usually the cover charge at Sublime is $25 ($15 for students before 12). So yeah gona have to fork out the extra moola but i know its gona be well worth it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Also if you did rave what kind of raver were you? did you dance, shuffle, glow stick, stomp, photon lights etc etc??

heres a real short clip of me and a couple mates at Sublime just last friday. I havnt done much dancing since our group didnt have any good dancers to giv me pointers and such, but hopefully ill start shuffling soon
biggrin.gif
seems fun and i have a half-shuffle kinda thing i do atm which keeps me happy :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hph4DLazzfA (me on the right) in longer clips my mate on the left will pwn me left right and center in terms of style, tricks and skills on the dance floor
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 24
A very long time ago I used to be one of those liquid popping, glowsticking, candy kid, PLURverts. People still do that huh?

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 24
Yeah I'm still into raving / liquid flowing / glowsticking, though I don't go to actual raves anymore. They weren't really my thing, and I got tired of getting hit in the face with glowsticks by those kids on ecstasy who didn't know what they were doing
mad.gif

I want to go to Monster Massive this year, though.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 24
Used to rave a lot back in high school. I was really into it and I had a blast at the time, but once college hit my priorities shifted and I knew that I couldn't live that lifestyle for too long anyways. My fondest moment was a 4 day outdoor rave I went. We slept in tents and music played 24/7. The music was organized in various barns, one barn would be house oriented, another was techno, another was jungle, etc.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 24
4 Day Rave -_-'' I would have thought 8 hours was already enough lol

I would love to attent one of those massive raves in europe one time, i saw a vid of Tiesto playing and the size of that rave just blew our australian raves away.

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 24
Not really into raves but I do love the music. I have a lot of friends who are house DJs they were the ones who got me into house/electronica music. I also like the vibe in house/trance clubs, people seem more friendly. BTW, Ferry Corsten is my favorite DJ
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 24
I was for a long time. I was more of the punk ass type though...more like the kid who sold things
wink.gif
I danced, but no PLUR, candy, glow, etc. It was just the music and getting down with my friends minus the gay-ness that earned the scene such a cheeseball reputation.

Now I'm more of a club kid. That doesn't mean dressing up and buying $12 drinks (though I have done that on occasion) but more like the underground club scene. The lifestyle actually inspired the creation of one of my sites:

Grooveeffect

Mostly deals with the fashion, but the party life is in there too. Dig around in the 'music and events' section to get a feel for it.

Musically I lean more towards Detroit / Hard Techno, Jungle, and House, with a little hardcore/speedcore/terrorcore mixed in (it's a Chicago thing...we had a couple moshpits at raves
biggrin.gif
). Never could get into trance, 2-step, breaks, etc...the vibe of those sounds kinda clashes with me.

Lately I've been also adding in some electro / elecrostep into the mix, as well as some 80's sounding stuff.

--Illah

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 24
If there are still people out there enjoying its not dead. Maybe a different crowd or generation, but definately not dead
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I was more of the punk ass type though...more like the kid who sold things I danced, but no PLUR, candy, glow, etc. It was just the music and getting down with my friends minus the gay-ness that earned the scene such a cheeseball reputation.

Wow i have to say this quote kinda itches me. As far as i know most of the poor reputation of raves comes from the erm..the stuff you sold as opposed to the other stuff u spoke about :p Maybe i misunderstood your wording, but i take it as a bit of an insult when you say that it was glow etc etc gave raves a cheeseball reputation.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatMACHI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe i misunderstood your wording, but i take it as a bit of an insult when you say that it was glow etc etc gave raves a cheeseball reputation.

Ravers were laughed at and generally have a poor reputation because of this...that's what I meant. I'm referring more to the kids who sat around rolling with a facemask soaked in Vicks and bracelets up to their elbows telling random people how much they love them. That is embarassing. When I tell people I'm into raves this is one of the first things they ask, "Oh, so you were one of those candy kids..."

And like it or not, the glow got popular becuase of the way it looks when people were high, especially on psychadelics. That was the birth of that whole thing IMO.

I do agree with you thought that the law singled out the drug element as the reason why raves should be shut down, and with good reason. Toward the late 90's half the people at a rave could care less about the music and only came to get high, and many people were there only to profit off of that crowd. I was never like that, but that's what caused the rave implosion. It's not that the law stamped it out per se, but the 'real' crowd was overwhelmed by posers and things changed direction. Early on the drug element wasn't nearly as much of an issue because the focus was on the real elements - parties were broken up for permit, noise, or trespassing violations, not because some kid was high.

--Illah

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 24
Thanks for the explanation.

There are the...more extreme people out there like the candy ravers and those that get really really dressed up, and the more less extremist and i think that if all those strangely dressed people and dont tell people who were high and shuffling/dancing/glowing whatever werent fun to watch and go omg they are moving about twice as fast as a normal person should be and they've been doing it for like 5 hours now :p

I hadnt thought to much into reasons and the history in the development of raves. But its good to think about it now. But for now, i still think its a great place to go with a bunch of good mates, regardless of what my OTHER really good mates think of it. But hey, if they think its seedy, derelict, full of gronks, meh whatever to that, we can go have a safe and great time and only come out the other end a bit tired having had a great night
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back