1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Any quality loss in converting FLAC to WAV?

Discussion in 'Music' started by officetally, Mar 23, 2011.
First

Back
  1. dorino

seems like the simplest way.

2. yeahx
    This went past a page? Why are WAV files still being used? There's no reason for this to happen anymore!

WraithApe likes this.
  3. diafebus
    I think there is a lost of quality Using ALAC, but FLAC output is EXACTLY the same as Original CD Audio, you can do the test using a multi track application, you put your original track in flac, and the one converted to wav in the multitrack, both in separate tracks to sound simultaneously, then invert the phase of one of the two tracks, if you hear NOTHING like 0 music, is that Flac and wave file have the exact same waveform so they contain the exact same information, I did this test with FLAC and ALAC from apple… and when doing this with ALAC i don't know why but ALAC sounds a bit when inverting phase, which shouldn't be like that… 

the other thing to bear in mind is, if we're capable of perceiving such tiny sound differences… that's more of a personal thing, the equipment you have to hear music… etc.

I hope that helped! 

Btw, FLAC to WAV using a proper converter should lose 0 quality, just take more space on the disk.

Best regards! Excuse my english! I'm no native!

4. VassilisPapad

Well, :)

It's a simple answer;

This is the main reason for one to use FLAC and ALAC, so you can compress the file and reduse the file size! :wink:
    And worry not, you DON'T lose any quality (read below).

Other advantages?
    Well,
    it's a more 'advance' digital format, you can put and edit much more information in each file, like Album Covers, Lyrics, more Informations like "Composer(s)", "Infos", "Album Artist", etc... (read 'spoiler' for more infos on 'Album Artist' and 'Artist' diferences)
    that would be different from the "Artist" tag, so in the 'Artist' section you could write 'Phil Collins & Philip Bailey' -the infamous 'easy lover' song- BUT in the 'Album Artist' section you can write 'Philip Bailey', so you can see -and search in your music players search machine- both names, but the the artist file that will be vreated and stored to be only 'Philip Bailey' as it should be since the song was on Philip Bailey's album 'Chinese Wall'. So the tagging would the be: Philip Bailey>Chinese Wall>Easy Lover but on the Artist info would be like 'Easy Lover - Phil Collins & Philip Bailey'

So,
    by converting your WAV to FLAC or ALAC, you MAY not be able to play the flac/alac files on all players, BUT, you get more tags/covers/lyrics options and LESS space on your hard drive, WITHOUT LOSSING ANY OF THE QUALITY('INFORMATION'), like you lose when you convert your WAV to MP3.
    :wink:
    That's why FLAC/ALAC are called LossLESS formats (and mp3 is a lossy format).

And a bit more infos (no spoilers haha just hidding extra infos):
    Keep in mind also that you can convert a Wav to Flac/Alac and then the Flac/Alac back to Wav without lossing any quality (you just compress/de-compress your files), BUT once you make your Wav into Mp3, you 'can' convert it back to Wav but you would have loss ALOT information/quality (since you CUT and THROW AWAY infromation that never comes back, you just get back a big wav file but without the information that was cut-away when converting to mp3).
    That's the reason we don't 'upscale'/convert our mp3s to flac/alac/wav

Thats all!
    Please keep in mind that english is not my native language, don't have time to check my grammar/spelling -sorry!
    :)

5. 39points
    Personally I don't really notice that much of a difference

6. WraithApe
    Personally I notice that two identical things are identical.

Mr-bump.jpg

First

Back