Any portable with RCA outs?
May 15, 2004 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MikeJeffs

New Head-Fier
Trawling through more specifications than I care to mention, does anyone know of a mp3 portable (preferably solid-state or CD) that has RCA/phono outs?

All I can find so far is the Rio Karma which has them on its docking station.

any others?
thanks

May 16, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 10
Nope. They're a little too big. But why can't you just use a mini to RCA cable and a regular line-out? Works just the same.

May 16, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply.

Im using the portable to power a 50watt rms active speaker. Using a jack -> rca lead I'm not getting enough output to make the speaker loud enough for my needs.

Contrastingly when using RCA outs from a seperates cd player/dvd I get a nice loud sound.

I think it might be that EU regulations require portable units to be volume limited - therefore there's not enough juice to power my speaker.

Can anyone confirm that US edition portables generally have the same volume when plugged into an amp (say the aux of a home seperates system) as a regular cd/dvd seperates unit?

thanks!

May 16, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 10
Portables are designed to save power. They need to run for a long time. Regular sources can use tons of power because they run off mains, therefore, they have a higher output voltage.

Also, not quite sure about this, but european versions of portables have less power than the US, AFAIK.

May 16, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi Mike,

Portable DAPs sold in the EU are volume limited due to a stupid EU regulation thought up several years ago and only now being implemented.

You could buy a Creative Zen, it is fairly to change the firmware to the US version and thus get rid of this stupid limitation. I did this. Alternatively, buy a headphone amp and connect the output of this to your main system.

Cheers,
John

May 16, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 10
Might have to consider the headphone amp, the zen is a little pricey for me.

Can somebody please recomend a cheap headphone amp. Sound quality is not of great importance in this instance. The system the unit will be used in is rough and ready and will be played in echo ridden sports halls.

thanks

May 17, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 10
Either way, the Rio Karma is a little outside my budget.

I'm thinking of getting a MuVo2 (with 512mb or 256mb - not 4gb). The version i'll get will be the USA version.

Anybody got any experience of the volume of this unit?

May 17, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJeffs
Either way, the Rio Karma is a little outside my budget.

I'm thinking of getting a MuVo2 (with 512mb or 256mb - not 4gb). The version i'll get will be the USA version.

Anybody got any experience of the volume of this unit?

confused.gif
The lowest price I'm seeing for the Muvo2 512 is $230 (Most at $269 though), and you can easily find the Karma for ~$250 or less (Dell.com and Walmart.com) Further, if you do a printout of the Walmart page (maybe edit the 'out of stock', but may not be necessary) and take it to Circuit City there is a pretty high chance they'll pricematch it, and now you have it for less money, and bought it at a brick and morter...For the difference between the two players I would save 20 bucks and get the Karma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back