Any point in having a dac and a sound card?
Mar 1, 2006 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
I first started to really get into audio this past December so I went out and bought a 2zs pp without really thinking, I liked the fact that it came with the breakout box but was so reasonably priced but now I am wondering if I made a mistake. I am currently looking into Dacs and I found out that they only run out of a usb or firewire port, so is there any reason to keep my soundcard?

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 7
from what i read people here use the optical out of their soundcard and connect it to the dac, since using usb and firewire are known to cost more 'jitters', which is the main issue with digital.

also i think that audigy 2zs do not output bit perfect digital signals, which mean the music signal is modified before its sent out to the dac. chaintech av710, e-mu, and maudio soundcards are ones that have bit perfect output.

also feel free to donate me your audigy when you dont need them anymore.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 7
mini to rca is analog. you need a digital cable. i dont know much about dac, but some use coaxial, if you sound card have coaxial (look like an rca output, usually yellow) or toslink/optical. and along with the usb and firewire. you will have wait for more reply for help with connecting and choosing specific dac, i dont know anything in this area.

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 7
Well 99% time dacs dont have usb input. They have optical and coaxial digital input. There are also dacs that include usb input like aqvox, great-march. That firestone audio fubar is usb only dac.

Corda Aria is really amp not dedicated dac with normal rca analog input and usb input as extra.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Alright! So I don't have to replace my soundcard, what would be better to use the digital out or the spdif out? Where to I buy the cable for to do this? Thanks for all the help
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back