Any other college freshmen leaving soon?
Aug 13, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A permanent cure for homesick blues? Community College.
biggrin.gif

Yep Yep

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #32 of 38
hmm...some pointers...

-tell your roommate if he's annoying you
-lock your door and don't carry cash. my wallet was (most likely) stolen, $120~ cash in it. MAJOR issue. never found.
-don't allow yourself to miss home too much. it's a big step, and being apprehensive doesn't get you anywhere
smily_headphones1.gif

-redundant alarms for morning classes. i assume you're going to be studious...you can't afford to miss classes because an alarm didn't work!
-lofted furniture is ultimately a pain
-do stuff with new people as much as possible, and try to find the guy who knows everyone. it makes things easier in the long run.

yes, all personal experiences i "learned" from last year ;_; i'm now college savvy for the upcoming semester, haha.

Aug 13, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #33 of 38
i used to be close to home (about an hour and 40 minutes away)... but since my parents just recently sold our house and moved out to vegas... i am now no longer close to home. maybe i'll feel the homesickness a little more this year... who knows... all i know is that i don't want to go back to class! i'm enjoying summer
frown.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I move in to Stevens on the 19th.

I'm not too worried about being able to handle myself on my own (the nature of my soon-to-be-former employment here meant that I was only home when my parents were at work and they were only home when I was at work), but saying goodbyes to some of my really close friends has been very difficult. I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'm going to be a big ol' mess of life between now and next Sunday, when I'm still hanging around my old places, but very lonely.

My roommate seems like a decent enough guy. Everything I've heard says that roughly half of the students at my school aren't social at all. I have friends like that here and I wouldn't mind one as a roommate. I figure that if he's a really outgoing guy like me, we can go out and meet people and do lots of stuff together, and if he's really quiet and shy, I'll still have someone who's always around for me to hang out with or talk to, and I can help him be less shy.

hey... i just moved into Stevens last week!
icon10.gif
i'm working here as a intern as a Assistant Area Coordinator in the Residence Life office. from what i hear about Stevens students, they're quite comeptitive in their academics but there's also a lot of social activities in and around campus. which residence hall are you assigned in? probably Davis or Hayden...

for everyone who's moving to college for the first time, as a former Student Advisor and Resident Advisor in my past life (undergrad school), i strongly suggest attending all the Orientation events. there you'll meet a Student Advisor who will address any issue you might have about transitioning, campus life, or any other concerns that may arise. there's also a bunch of social activities so everyone will meet each other and make new friends. when i was a Freshman i didn't attend my orientation and i highly regret it, i felt like i missed an important part of my college experience.

also, your RA (Resident Assistant, Resident Advisor, etc. each school has their own terminology) is there to address any concerns about school life. these people are trustworthy, resourceful, and are trained to to handle these situations. lastly, please go to the first hall meeting with the RA; there's he/she will present any policies and procedures about residence hall living and save both the RA and student time and effort on anything that may arise (work orders, roommate conflicts, etc.) and make things go faster and smoother if you can solve simple issues yourself.

lastly, the first year in college is supposed to be a fun, exciting, and challanging experience. i understand it's the first time with real freedom but just take things one at a time... if you guys get my drift.
wink.gif

good luck!

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just take things one at a time... if you guys get my drift.
wink.gif

So what, that's like no mixed drinks? Or maybe you mean no laced drugs?
icon10.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, that's sooo brutal.

I'm starting to feel old now, I start my junior year in 2 weeks and the only thing I can say is in college you look forward to change.

I'm not an engineering major but I know it's hard. Good luck guys!

I am starting my junior year in a few weeks as well. I move into my house this coming monday.
icon10.gif

Honestly I have never locked my dorm room door. But I go to a small school and I am bigger than all of the people in the hall.
icon10.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly I have never locked my dorm room door. But I go to a small school and I am bigger than all of the people in the hall.
icon10.gif

Wow. I always locked my door. I just had far too much valuable stuff to take the risk. It was sometimes a bit of a hassle (it took me a while to get into the habit of taking my keys with me when I went to take showers), but it was worth it for peace of mind. Heck, I even locked the door sometimes when I was inside. Never mind, that's for a different reason...
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back