Any other artists like Nick Drake?
Apr 4, 2005 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been listening to a LOT of Nick Drake recently, are there any other artists like him out there?

Apr 4, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 22
I'm a big fan of Drake myself. You won't find another artist quite like him, but here are some I can recommend in the same vein:

Bert Jansch
Townes Van Zandt
M. Ward (especially his album Transfiguration of Vincent)
The One AM Radio (like Drake with a bit of electronic thrown in)
Iron & Wine (you've probably already heard him, but his music is definitely influenced by Drake)
Sufjan Stevens

Apr 4, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 22
another nick drake fan. i listen to his music more than anything else in my playlist. i dont know of any music or singers that is as good. i listen to alot of acoustic, too bad they arent anything like nick drake.

Apr 4, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
another nick drake fan. i listen to his music more than anything else in my playlist. i dont know of any music or singers that is as good. i listen to alot of acoustic, too bad they arent anything like nick drake.

Another vote for old Townes Van Zandt. On a slightly different note, you might try out some Vic Chestnutt -- a guy who put Stevie Smith's " Not Waving But Drowning" to music.

Apr 4, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 22
Rangers34 beat me to it... Definately Elliott Smith!
cool.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 22
I have 5 Leaves Left and love it. Any other recommendation from him?

I notice Made to Love magic had songs from the above album which makes me reluctant to buy it. Anyone knows why?

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 22
He's only got 3 albums total, they are all essential, IMO, 5 Leaves Left is the least of his work. Bryter Layter is just gorgeous, Pink Moon, is absolutely harrowingly sad, and stripped down. Made to Love Magic is a compilation of his rarities, worth owning, there are essential songs on there like his final recordings, very much in the Pink Moon vein, including the the profound Black Eyed Dog.

As for artists like Drake, I'd add Jeff Buckley, similar tragic early end, similar highly romantic, otherworldly sound that transports you away. Grace is his masterpiece (only real album he ever got to make). The recent Legacy Edition has better sound the original CD issue.

Apr 4, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 22
not quite in the same vein, but another great album of acoustic, otherworldly music is Robyn Hitchcock - Eye.

it's more challenging than drake; about half the album is more dissonant. but the other half is beautiful, melancholy, confessional and everything that's good about nick drake.

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 22
I recommend Elliott Smith also, particularly the earlier stuff.

Neil Young's Harvest is from the same era and you might find it enjoyable.

Also...in case you haven't already, you might consider picking up some Bob Dylan, though generally his music is a bit more upbeat...perhaps Blood on the Tracks?

And then there's Cat Stevens, whose music isn't dark like Nick Drake's music tends to be, but is a rather soft-spoken vocalist backed by (generally) solo guitar, and his most well-known material is from the same time period.

Apr 5, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
are there any other artists like him out there?

Yeah, lots. There was another thread awhile back askingfor suggestions and I remember listing a bunch, but it kind of depends on what album you like the most. I'm mor eof a Pink Moon kind of guy, so that's the sound I gravitate toward. Stuff like Springsteen's Nebraska, and Damien Jurado's Ghost of David, and a big bunch in between. Mark Mulcahy's Smilesunset is another good one of recent vintage.

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Iron & Wine (you've probably already heard him, but his music is definitely influenced by Drake)

Even if you don't like Nick Drake, you should own all the Iron and Wine albums. I don't think a collection can be complete without at least one Iron and Wine disc. (Woman King sounds AMAZING....can't wait for the LP)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Sufjan Stevens

That's what I'd go for first. Greetings From Michigan and Seven Swans are both masterpieces. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with either album. I would, however, avoid his previous work.

I'll also add Gravenhurst's - Flashlight Seasons to that list.

Jeff Tweedy's acoustic stuff should probably be mentioned.

Devendra Banhart might be another good choice, though a little less grounded than Drake. I could see a Drake fan not liking Banhart.

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
Woman King sounds AMAZING....can't wait for the LP

I agree, I've been listening to this album almost non stop the past week.
wink.gif

May 3, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 22
Woman King scares me. He may go popy on us any day.

Nick Drake-a-likes.

Donovan- Try "Greatest Hits"
Iron & Wine- Everything is great
Joanna Newsom- "Milk-EyedMender" Tripped out Fairy-Tale mixed with choirs of the ghosts of dirty-faced, rotten-tooth children. Courageous voice accompanying fantastic harp.
Devendra Banhart- Oh Me Oh My
The Anthology of American Folk Music - Compiled by Harry Smith (a life altering experience- no lie)
Cat Power- Moon Pix and You Are Free
Will Oldham- Joya
Espers- Espers
Songs: Ohia- Axxess & Ace
Eliott Smith- From A Basement is a good place to start
The Be Good Tanyas- Blue Horse (best album of 2001)
Jolie Holland- Escondido
Linda Perhacs- Parallelograms (not for the weak of heart)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back