Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #811 of 876
I have plenty of the 12 pin types then I will be putting up soon in the for sale threads, and I have to say the older the tube, the better sound...

so late production tubes are not as good as the oldest ones.
C
Don't ask me why it is, but that is what it is...

That's a general statement, but it can almost be considered a fact(!), because of how prevalent it is.
Oldest tubes are usually the best.

well I should be in for a treat, the GE Triple mica is what a late 50s early 60s, vs the 80s Double Mica

one theory I heard had to do with the level of precious earth metals in those tubes versus the more recent productions which no longer have access to those metals and the substitute for different materials, either way this is supposed to be one of the very best so I hope I don't have to buy any more tubes lol

chances are I won't be picking up your 12 pins as again I've got enough lol, but maybe I'll have some that I can sell and I might pick up some of yours as a exchange of swords

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #812 of 876
I have plenty of the 12 pin types then I will be putting up soon in the for sale threads, and I have to say the older the tube, the better sound...

so late production tubes are not as good as the oldest ones.
C
Don't ask me why it is, but that is what it is...

That's a general statement, but it can almost be considered a fact(!), because of how prevalent it is.
Oldest tubes are usually the best.

Right and as a heads up guys don't forget to gently clean your tube contacts every so often [I do it like once a year] a tiny bit of Deoxit Red on my 6sn7's with a follow up of Gold once they've dried

Did my power tubes today and was a bit shocked how much cleaned off <.<, impressions for the 58/59 6072 Triple Mica the 5Star 6072a Black Plate and the 80s Jan 6072A Double Mica are in coming today I hope

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #813 of 876
Started with the 80's Jan Double Mica, and it's nice! Smooth without being too thick, tho I'm listening with an AD 2000, the real test is how does it do with HD 800

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #814 of 876
Right and as a heads up guys don't forget to gently clean your tube contacts every so often [I do it like once a year] a tiny bit of Deoxit Red on my 6sn7's with a follow up of Gold once they've dried

Did my power tubes today and was a bit shocked how much cleaned off <.<, impressions for the 58/59 6072 Triple Mica the 5Star 6072a Black Plate and the 80s Jan 6072A Double Mica are in coming today I hope

Good point! I do this once after purchasing tubes to remove years of grime but haven't touched them since. I've noticed how contacts soon get dirty.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #815 of 876
Started with the 80's Jan Double Mica, and it's nice! Smooth without being too thick, tho I'm listening with an AD 2000, the real test is how does it do with HD 800

I'm interested to hear your comparisons with the Sylvanias.

The triple micas are supposed to be the best, I've tried the Sylvanias but settled on the Tung Sol double mica 5751's a while back. As a side note some of the opinions on the 12AX7 tube family I've heard are that they aren't as good as the 5751's, due to some deficiencies in the sound, but I must say that I don't agree with this. The Philips I've got atm I've had in for over a year now without touching them, and I don't intend to as they are the best tube I've ever heard in the APPJ. I wanted to get some of the Mullard sound but retaining detail and clarity, and the Philips certainly have this.

BTW what do you think of your Audio Technicas, I've always liked them.

Jun 27, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #816 of 876
I'm interested to hear your comparisons with the Sylvanias.

The triple micas are supposed to be the best, I've tried the Sylvanias but settled on the Tung Sol double mica 5751's a while back. As a side note some of the opinions on the 12AX7 tube family I've heard are that they aren't as good as the 5751's, due to some deficiencies in the sound, but I must say that I don't agree with this. The Philips I've got atm I've had in for over a year now without touching them, and I don't intend to as they are the best tube I've ever heard in the APPJ. I wanted to get some of the Mullard sound but retaining detail and clarity, and the Philips certainly have this.

BTW what do you think of your Audio Technicas, I've always liked them.

I'm pretty smitten with the AD2000s I must say, and I'm not a fan of the 12AX7s either. The Triple Mica's I have are actually 12ay7s/6072[a]

An overall I find the 58/59 Triple Mica [The GE holy grail] is similar to my own White Label Sylvania in that it's airy with a very taut bass. I will need to do some more comparisons but so far I'm happy with how it sounds! I've actually been rolling these little guys into my Ember II and Auris Euterpe more than my APPJ PA1502a tonight, as these guys will function in all three amps

Sooooooooooooooooo I can say with certainty there is something special about the GE Triple Mica 58/59 6072/12ay7

Really good timbre and tone without being too dry, that and it's got excellent clarity and staging, the GE 5 Star is also nice if you want a bit more body. When I've got some rest I'll compare the Triple Mica to my 12SL7GT

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #817 of 876
I'm pretty smitten with the AD2000s I must say, and I'm not a fan of the 12AX7s either. The Triple Mica's I have are actually 12ay7s/6072[a]

An overall I find the 58/59 Triple Mica [The GE holy grail] is similar to my own White Label Sylvania in that it's airy with a very taut bass. I will need to do some more comparisons but so far I'm happy with how it sounds! I've actually been rolling these little guys into my Ember II and Auris Euterpe more than my APPJ PA1502a tonight, as these guys will function in all three amps

Sooooooooooooooooo I can say with certainty there is something special about the GE Triple Mica 58/59 6072/12ay7

Really good timbre and tone without being too dry, that and it's got excellent clarity and staging, the GE 5 Star is also nice if you want a bit more body. When I've got some rest I'll compare the Triple Mica to my 12SL7GT

Excellent!

Yes, sorry I forgot you were talking about 6072A tubes.

That sounds typical GE sound, clear and airy, yes. I like them too, I used 12Ax7's in both amps for quite a while, and they were dirt cheap!

Yes, the reason I replaced my Audio Technicas a few years ago and got the HiFiMans was because they had a similar emotional type signature, but I felt the HiFiMans took this a step further.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #818 of 876
Excellent!

Yes, sorry I forgot you were talking about 6072A tubes.

That sounds typical GE sound, clear and airy, yes. I like them too, I used 12Ax7's in both amps for quite a while, and they were dirt cheap!

Yes, the reason I replaced my Audio Technicas a few years ago and got the HiFiMans was because they had a similar emotional type signature, but I felt the HiFiMans took this a step further.

Well to my ears there's a speed and quickness the AD2000 has alongside it's sweeter mid range that I like, the Hifimans even my zippppppppppy modded HE 4 didn't quite balance tone and quickness like AD 2000 does, that said HD800 is still for my tastes better it's just not always pleasent with older music where as AD2000 lacks some resolve without sounding "slow"

I did the Grill Mod on my HE 4XX and quite like'd that, anyways yea I'm happy with my choice to go GE!As they remind me of the traits I like about my late 40's Sylvania Octals

Tho I'm bummed I didn't like the GE or my Syl Octals with my Project Ember II, oh well tonight I'll have a chance to hear the GE's in my APPJ PA1502A

An tonight will settle which of my Tube's is staying in my main rig! It's Auris Euterpe VS Appj with a myriad of "Holy Grail" type tube's it should be a nice night

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #819 of 876
Right and as a heads up guys don't forget to gently clean your tube contacts every so often
I used a glass fiber pen to polish my tube pins.
IMG_20200628_004616.jpg
Got it on eBay..
:)

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #820 of 876
tonight I'll have a chance to hear the GE's in my APPJ PA1502A

You can also get cryoed GE's from watfordvalves.com if you're interested, which I didn't get around to trying.

Jun 28, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #821 of 876
I used a glass fiber pen to polish my tube pins.
IMG_20200628_004616.jpg
Got it on eBay..
:)
I don't know about the glass fibre pen... looks like the Oblivion chassis could do with a dust as well lol....!
:).

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #822 of 876
You can also get cryoed GE's from watfordvalves.com if you're interested, which I didn't get around to trying.

Hmm I checked them out and didn't see an Cryo'd 6072 GEs

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #823 of 876
Hmm I checked them out and didn't see an Cryo'd 6072 GEs
You're right.. only 12Au7, 12At7 and 12Ax7's. The claims for them are pretty special though. I was interested to see if they lived up to the claims but never got around to it.

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #824 of 876

Users who are viewing this thread

Back